Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Unexpected Friends

Years and years ago, Gospel Artist Sandi Patty sang a song entitled, "Unexpected Friends." Version one appeared on her album, "Another Time, Another Place." Version two was a duet sung with Amy Grant, on Sandi's concept album, "Le Voyage."

At the time that both versions were released, I was wrapped up in kids and marriage and church and job and responsibilities. I had numerous acquaintances -- but not a lot of good friends. Growing up as an only child in West Virginia, I was constantly surrounded by cousins and other family members that consumed so much of my time. My other contemporaries were school mates, but sadly, I just never really had a lot of time for any of them. I spent the majority of my time buried in my school work. I didn't socialize much. I was very, very, VERY shy.

Perhaps it's the age thing now, but as I have grown older, I now "get it." I truly understand the necessity of having good, true, strong and solid friendships.

In the past few years as I have experienced the pain of separation, divorce, and the fact that the kids have all flown the nest to begin their own lives I can honestly say that I don't think I would have emerged as the whole and happy human being I am, had it not been for all the unexpected friends I have.

The hurts have all healed now. I am happy and content with my life....and thankful for the many blessings I have received.

Of all the blessings I've received in the past few years I have to say that my friends are the most precious. I'm only sorry that I didn't grasp the concept at a much younger age.

To those of you who have connected with me through this blog -- thank you! I am thinking of all of you this evening, for truly you are my "Unexpected Friends." This is for you!

UNEXPECTED FRIENDS
by Greg Nelson/Bob Farrell
Warner/Chapel Music, Inc.


When the dark closes in so hard I can hardly see
And the walls of my fortress of faith crumble in on me
When it seems like the end
Not a measure of strength to spend
I feel the arms of a stranger rescue me.

[A WHOLE SERIES OF LA LA LAs that I won't try to put here)

When it seems like the end
Not a measure of strength to spend
I feel the arms of a stranger rescue me.

CHORUS
With some unexpected friends
Never asking where I've been
Just a hand of mercy and words of love
Call me back again
Oh, it feels like home with unexpected friends.

A soothing balm for the wounds I suffer along the way
A fevent praying giving courage and home for another day
Though the help of my friends
Ones I may never see again
Seem like angels that were sent by Heaven to rescue me.

Repeat Chorus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice song...and makes me wonder if I might have a chance of being one of those unexpected friends myself. I realize this sounds rather egocentric and I apologize; I think I too often daydream/fantasize about being the "hero" for somebody, usually by doing something incredibly fantastic that nobody else can do...but that's another ballgame. LOL

I'm glad that you have found many friends in your blog here, and glad you are doing better these days. I'm sorry for all the hell you went through. It really feels like I'm the only person in the region who's NOT going through hell (and if I am, it's only a personal one, void of external stimuli). I wish I could heal you somehow. All the more reason I would like to take you out to lunch or dinner or something, if possible.

I have reviewed your other posts and find you a very interesting individual whom I would like to talk to in person, if possible. I realize that this is an odd way to meet somebody, but if you have any interest, would you like to meet and talk about things?

Please respond to this comment or e-mail me at svankmaj@hotmail.com if interested (or even if not -- I'll understand either way. Promise.).

Lots of love and hugs to you, Frank. :) I hope to talk to you soon.

-- Marc