Friday, December 02, 2011

About Bob...

The saga of Bob continues and I have to say that I am enjoying him so very much. Definitely this man is special. He warms my heart in quite profound ways.


I still do not have a clue as to where this is all headed.


But gosh...***SIGH***

I think in an earlier post I said that Bob came to my house for Thanksgiving. We had a special time. Then, this week I got a card in the mail thanking me for all the fun he had while here. I put it in my pile of cards to keep.


We have continued our texts....and phone calls......good nights.....good mornings....


Then we did something we haven't done before. We actually moved into different territory. He texted me and said that he was in town for some meeting or other...and asked if I cared to join him for lunch.


Is the Pope Catholic?


I jumped at the chance....and soon found myself sitting across the table from him as he filled me in on his day....his week.....and his church service that weekend. We did as we always do....we laughed and talked....and the time flew by.


Then he grew serious.


He had something he wanted to tell me.


It's something that only he and a couple of people know....and for the past little while it has been weighing on his mind.


I put down my fork...looked at him not knowing what to expect.


I won't violate his trust even here. It was way too personal....and yes I can understand why it was traumatic and all that. But I sat silently and hung on every word. When he finally finished...I suppose it was God who gave me the right things to say to comfort....to help....and yes, to even minister to this man.


It struck a chord obviously.....because he hung on every part of my response.....and then he fell apart and began sobbing.


Again, I didn't say anything...I allowed his tears to flow...


And in that moment, I wanted so badly to jump up and go to his side of the table to wrap my arms around him and to hold him. I wanted to kiss his forehead....and to brush his cheeks....and to say that "I'm here and it's going to be fine."


But I didn't.


This is in keeping with my earlier statements to him that I could love him from a distance and that I would not make any demands upon him...or become clingy.....or stalk him.....


Based on our earlier conversations, I want any relationship to develop based on his comfortableness. I want him to make the first move...or to tell me that he has arrived at some conclusions...


And then I can tell him of my feelings on that day.....and of what I wanted to do....and how badly I wanted to express my compassion....and yes, my love for him.


We left and he walked me to my car. There we embraced....and I felt his cheek next to mine....


WHEW!

1 comment:

Paul said...

You are being a good friend to Bob. And maybe it will develop into something more. I think it is good you are hanging back to make sure it moves at his speed.