Monday, October 16, 2017

sLong Time, No Hear...

It has been a while since my last pos...and a reader sent an email expressing concern, wondering where I've been and if I was okay.

Well, I guess I'm okay...but I haven't felt too inspired to write lately.

I did go to the beach alone over the Memorial Day Weekend. I had a good time, but it was scary. I was uneasy about going alone, but I did and I had a good time. I'm glad that I went.

Around the time of Capital Pride in June, I was asked by a gay colleague about my experiences at my office. As we chatted about my 40 years there, he asked if I would be willing to share it in an article to the gay contingent within the agency. I gave it some thought and agreed. Just before PRIDE it hit the streets and I had "come out" to the entire agency. Further, my colleague sent out an email to my immediate office congratulating my coming out.

So, since I had basically blown the hinges off my closet door at the agency...I decided to go one step further and pasted the article in its entirety on my Facebook page. This was done to make sure that all my relatives in WV were clued in. Well, the relatives from WV have been totally silent. However, I have heard from one branch unbridled support...including a whole nest of gay relatives! Who knew?

The amount of support I have received from other friends has been phenomenal. I am so thankful that I did the deed.

It's a great feeling to finally be able to live authentically. Due to the toxic nature of some of the family I have, it's okay to never hear from them again -- I mean really. I know longer need to please them or to try and keep them contented.

So, as you can see, it has been a busy summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Thanks for your posts. I like the part when you talk about being gay and whether or not it is a choice or not. It sure isn't a choice. It is just part of the fabric of who someone is. Why would you chose to be different and be shunned?