Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cold and Blue

Had a near miss with my daddy this weekend. Friday when I got home from the office, he was simply lifeless.

He could not walk.

He did not want to eat.

He did not want to drink.

He had a fever of 101.8.

I was a bit frightened by his sudden deterioration.

So, I spent the entire weekend looking for supositories to calm his nausea. I also had to find tylenol supositories. I finally found them at an all night CVS in Springfield VA at 3:00 Saturday morning.

And, guess who was elected to insert the supositories? Well, it certainly was not my dad.

My daughter remarked at how calm and cool I was in handling all this.

I told her that it was all just a front...and that inside I was a wreck.

Following all this, we were barraged by a parade of nurses from Hospice. Yesterday the doctor at Hospice made a house call. She diagnosed dad as suffering from bacterial pneumonia. She also said that his overall condition has deteriorated....considerably since she first visited him in November.

All told....I need to brace myself for his passing.

I am stressed.....and saddened by all this.

Why did I have to lose my parents like this?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Frank, thank you for your courage, for all of us. A valued caretaker. We all will get there.

Buddy Bear said...

I wish you all the best during this incredibly difficult time.