Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Could It Be That Things Are Beginning to Look Up?


I received notice this week that one of my all time favorite male Christian Vocalists was going to be holding a concert at my old church this past Saturday. I looked at #2 and said, "We gotta go!" So it all worked out that a friend from church couldn't go, and he gave me his two tickets.

Keep in mind that this was the church that so warmly embraced "Lovey"...and where I became invisible. Few people contacted me. I was so bitter and angry at them. Most of all I was angry at my pastor (MP). He was the subject of an earlier post. (See "Fat, Old, and Cranky") If you've read that posting, you'll note that I sent him a heartfelt and impassioned email about how I felt about things. To date, I had not heard from him.

So, I was a bit intimidated about showing up at church. After all, since folks were so apparently entranced by Lovey's presence and her obvious spirituality, what would they think of me, the lowly queer, Frank?

I decided to find out!

So #2 and I went to the concert and we got there early.

I was practically mobbed by folks.

Even by people I didn't know.

All of them saying how much they had missed me. Was I back? How have I been? Am I okay?

I was a bit overwhelmed...

Then he appeared. MP!

He had a "deer in the headlights" look about him. He approached rather haltingly and reached out his hand. "How are you?", he slightly faltered. "I am fine," I said warmly and pleasantly. (I was amazed at my own sincerity!)

"I'm glad," he continued. "Did you get my letter?" he asked.

"No," I answered a bit surprised. "Where did you send it...?" and then I recited my myriads of email addresses.... "I didn't email..I sent it to the home address I have on file for you."

"Ah...I haven't seen it....but I will look for it when I get home."

So, with that, I went to the concert.

The music was fantastic...and seeing the people at church...smiling warmly at me...and showing genuine compassion and warmth to me brought me to tears.

I got home very late, but #2 and I went through all the mail we had received during the past week. Saw absoulutely nothing from the church. Then we picked up a catalog that was marked for the trash heap.....and there stuck into page 47 was a small cream envelope.....hand addressed, with the church parsonage's return address. The postman evidently had put some small pieces of mail inside periodicals and catalogs and they are easily missed.

I sat down in my easy chair....and opened the envelope.

It was amazing....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh come, on. don't be a tease.