Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Tables are Turned!

I got home early yesterday afternoon. So, I decided to do something a bit mindless: watch OPRAH!

So in the midst of discussion about 9/11 Widows, there was a promo for an upcoming OPRAH scheduled for Monday. It had all the ear marks of another sordid husband with a secret shows. I thought, "Man, is this another show on Gay Husbands?"

Well, let me tell you. I nearly dropped my popsicle when the topic was revealed....Gay WIVES! The promo ends with Oprah exclaiming something like, "In all my years, I've never heard of anything quite like this!"

It also shows the husbands with the wives.

It's gonna be interesting to watch. I mean, so many times gay husbands are portrayed by such programs as "Having their cake and eating it too!"...or "Using their wives as a cover."....or "Living a lie!" or "Cheating on their wives."....or "Exposing their wives to danger."

You get my drift.

So, I wonder if this program with gay wives will be introducing the same concepts....."Having their cake and eating it too!"...or "Using their husbands as a cover..." or "Living a lie!"....or "Cheating on their husbands."...or "Exposing their husbands to danger."

Somehow I expect this to not be the case. To those ladies reading this, I mean no disrespect, but...somehow I think this is going to be treated a lot more "sensitively"....for women to be gay...it will be treated differently....

Everyone knows that men are beasts....even ogres....evil ogres.

In the media...when talk centers around relationships.....it's always the man that is the problem. Men are never sensitive to women's needs. Women are the victims...never guilty.

This should be an interesting edition of OPRAH! I can hardly wait.

Check your local listings for Monday.

5 comments:

john said...

I'm thinking the same thing. Somehow the women will come out winners.

bear said...

hmm! You have to remember lesbians are not considered a "threat" or hated as much as gay men. In many ways, they are considered MORE sexy and attractive for being lesbians. I think we'll find that some of the husbands don't even mind and find it a turn-on more than a turn-off (unless the wife left their husbands.)
I do applaud her effort to expand the sexual horizons of Americans...as she is a very watched person.

Anonymous said...

I watched the show and I thought that it was handled as positivly as one could possibly expect, both the wife's coming out and the husband's. The message of homosexuality being "normal" and socity forcing us to be in the closet, plus the encouragement to be who you really are is definitely something that needs hearing at every opportunity.

Frank said...

And I missed it! Too many errands....too many things to get done.....and I missed it! UGH.

Anonymous said...

I would have missed it also had it not been for my faithful video recorder. At the end of the program Oprah read the e-mail that triggered the show -- the gal was closeted -- Oprah said to show her husband the tape of the show. I kept the recording -- don't know if I will ever show it to anyone -- but I have the possibility.