Monday, February 04, 2008

Anniversaries

Today is another anniverary that I've been thinking a lot about.

One year ago today, my daughter, #1, left our house for the last time in her journey to her Peace Corps assignment of El Salvador. It was not without drama.

There's always drama.

Last year, her brother, the marine, came home to see her before she left. At leas that was the tale he told. He never got to see her...or to see me for that matter. He was way too busy being with his friends and drinking heavily, etc. He spent the night in jail a year ago....and #1 and I went to bail him out. But he wasn't available because of his arraignment, and I had to get #1 to Georgetown to meet up with her Peace Corps group.

I felt so all alone that day. It was scary for me. It felt like the whole world was caving in upon me and I started shutting down. I took the whole week off that week just to get my head on straight....and to try and figure out what I was going to do. I was also terribly frustrated by the slowness of the separation and divorce.

So here I am one year later.

Remembering how I felt then versus how I feel now.

I'm doing okay.

I spoke with number one yesterday. She told me that she had two deaths in the community where she lives. So she had to attend an all night vigil and was on her way to the funeral yesterday. These experiences are so valuable to her. She's learning so much about the different cultures of the world, and she's desperately trying to make her mark on the world.

My hat goes off to her.

Meanwhile, #2 called me to say that some things are happening in her career. She met a guy from her church yesterday over lunch. She and a group of friends had gone together to eat....and he was a tag along. Turns out he's somebody in the music biz....and she just happened to have a CD of HER songs she'd written and recorded. She gave it to him.....he kept playing it over and over....and he played it in the studio for some of his producer friends. Allegedly he and the friends are all blown away..... He wrote #2 late last night to say that he wanted her to meet someone this week. So #2 graciously accepted.

I can't help but feel like she is going to make it big in the music biz. It's just going to happen in the most unlikely circumstances...and she's gonna take off. Look out! And you guys are the first to read about it here...

WOW,

Life keeps chugging along for old Frank.

Who knows what will happen next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank;
I well remember your posts of a year ago; a very different Frank is posting now. I can only hope that both of us will make as much progress in the coming year.

Rick