Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Life of a Dad

The life of a caring and loving dad never gets easier.

What would you do, if one of your children lived 1,000 miles away and sent you the following text message on your cell phone in the middle of the night?

"Tornado warning downtown Nashville...that's where I am...just in case...I love you and #1 is my beneficiary."


I was very frightened for my daughter's safety...and I kept trying to reach her, but to no use.

I spent many anxious moments.

One hour later I received the following followup:

"Just got home...it was bad in TN."


I finally reached her...and she was okay, but shaken. She said that the road to her church was littered with lots of debris and flattened dwellings.

But she was okay.

That was the important thing.

Before she hung up...she told me that she had spoken with her mother at the height of everything. #2 said that she told her mom that she was in the midst of a tornado.....and couldn't really talk. Lovey said, "Aw, that's okay. I'm tired anyway and need to go to bed. Good night."

#2 couldn't believe her ears... She told her mother, "Well, I love you too Mom....and just for the record, if I get killed, #1 is my beneficiary on my insurance policies."

Her mother paused...and then said, "Well, if you do get killed, I will see you on the other side. Good night!"

Oh my....we can always count on Lovey to provide amusement even in the midst of a disaster!

I don't think I finally drifted off to sleep until well after 3am. I'm really dragging now.

What an evening!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm so glad she is alright! How scary.