Sunday, February 10, 2008

Being Gay Isn't Easy

I am SOOOOO spoiled.

I mean, for all the internal angst that I went through growing up as a gay child, and the struggles that I had trying to come to terms with myself...for the most part, it was easy. While my marriage and subsequent divorce were no picnics, at least I can say that I have landed on my feet...and now I'm just trying to chart a course for my life that will help to nurture me and help me to grow and to learn more about myself.

BUT, there are still those individuals in the world who struggle with the gay thing and how difficult it is some of the more conservative areas in the world.

For instance, I've heard how a group of people learned that there was a couple of openly gay people in one house, and they invaded it...and hacked up the gay people with machetes.

I then got to spend some time with a gay couple in my church who are going through the pain of divorce. BUT....their respective spouses have accused them of being unfit parents....and being possessed. They've had private investigators follow their every moves....and they've been attacked by their spouses with knives. Restraining orders have been taken out....but still you can tell the trauma is having a negative affect on them.

It's hard trying to come to terms with things. You're told that it's a choice and that you can change. You spend so much time trying to conform...and to change....and then, once you accept yourself -- although you've bought into all that society has demanded of you -- you're still labeled as evil because it's believed by folks that you have wrecked your spouse's life.....you've "deceived them".....and it's all your fault.

I dare say that if the church and society would teach you to embrace yourself....and accept yourself...just as you are.....then there wouldn't be the innnocent spouses who are hurt.....or are wrecked....

We gay folks can't ever seem to win.

But I'm a lucky one.

I'm accepted.

I'm loved.

I've landed on my feet.

I'm gay....

2 comments:

jas said...

Heh Frank - haven't contacted in a long time... and in return here is one of those meme/tag things. You have to pass it on ...

The rules for the meme are:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share six non important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
4. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

orange108 said...

I was just thinking some of these very same things today. Christians always point out how unhappy many gay people are and jump to the conclusion that they are unhappy because they are gay. But it is societies view of gay people and that it is a choice that really make gay people unhappy. It would be a lot easier to feel happy if you weren't constantly told that you made a choice to hurt the people you really do care about.

I'm going to add you to my blogroll. I've just started my blog a few weeks ago. Check out myheterogaylife.wordpress.com if you get a chance.