Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hearing Vs. Listening

Life is busy.

Jobs...bills.....responsibility....secret longings.....missed opportunities.....old hurts....new hurts.....the noise of it all...internal and external.

It is just so easy to get sidetracked and to think about the state of one's affairs.

It's kind of like this holiday season when I've been focused on all that I must do -- the shopping -- rushing to the airport -- wrapping -- church -- blah! blah! blah!

Then my children are talking.

Things are on their mind. Lots of things.

And I respond with "uh huh."

Although I heard....I find that I didn't really listen.

Finally, I do a data dump of all that is in my mind. For the next little while I pledge to listen to them -- my children. I will look deeply into their eyes.

I will concentrate on them.

On what they have to say.

Good or bad.

Positive or negative.

Hurtful or uplifting.

I listen.

Intently.

Oh.....and what I hear -- really hear.

We connect on a deep and rich level.

I am so glad that I heard and took the time during the busy-ness of the season to stop and listen.

What a grand Christmas!

My children will never be a missed opportunity!

Happy New Year to all of you!

(I plan to get back on schedule following the holidays.)

No comments: