Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Joy of Friendship

I am still learning about the joy of friendship!

I have written about friendship a number of times here. A few days ago I wrote on FACEBOOK about how amazed I was that I had reach the 50 friend marker. You see, it wasn't long ago that I felt I had no friends at all. My self-esteem was shattered and I honestly had no idea how to make true and honest friends.

All I knew was that I needed and wanted them desperately.

Well, I have found out through the miracle of FACEBOOK that not only do I have friends, but the numbers keep escalating. For this I am very thankful. In just two short weeks, the number of friends that I have has swollen to 110.

Now, just to set the record straight, I am not what is known as a FRIEND COLLECTOR. These are people that just sign up friends so that their numbers are impressive. The people on my FACEBOOK page are all listed as my friends because I know them all and they have each, somehow contributed to my life in some way....and that I have a continued relationship with each of them.

Years ago I heard it said that a friend was someone who knew all about you but still loved you anyway. I used to think that this was a neat concept....but that it would be something that I would never experience. In fact, I spent much time wondering just what such a friendship would be like.

I thought this would never happen to me because I spent so much time compartmentalizing myself and erecting walls. I intentionally kept work friends in one compartment; I kept church friends in another compartment; and regular acquaintances in another area.

Now I have comingled everyone....and all my friends are in one big pot of people.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but my friends are from all different walks of life....from different back grounds....different faith traditions.....different heritages. These differences have totally enriched my life so much, it is hard to describe.

I am just so thankful for all of them.

There is, however, a special group within this pot of friends that I will refer to as my gang. They are a group of guys that latched onto me early on when I started going to the church that I am now a member of. I can honestly say that I love each of them more than words can say. Each of them has brought a wonderful unique flavor to my life that is hard to explain. It's sort of like my life is like a boring garden salad with lettuce. These guys are the croutons, the tomatoes, the onion, the mushrooms, the green and red peppers, the dressing, the cheese -- they are what makes the salad so unique and so zesty.

Such are the things they have done for my life.

Aw...I just wish everyone could experience this joy of friendship that I have. These men, all sizes....shapes....ages......backgrounds....heritages.....all love me.....fiercely..... They know everything there is to know about Frank Vance....warts and all....and you know something? They love me. They care for me.

And when I'm sick....or when I'm down.....they want to know. They are there for me.

I just hope that I am that kind of friend to each of them.

1 comment:

Vic Mansfield said...

It's 'cause you're worth it.