Wednesday, January 07, 2009

What Spark Can You Get From a Photograph?

Oh well.

It's happened yet again.

I decided to post some ads out in cyber space attempting to locate a kindred spirit. Someone who was not looking for a quick hookup, or who was looking for Mr. Right Now.

Nope, I was trying to find someone that was looking for something more. In my own words, "someone open to life's possibilities."

I have been honest with my age.

I have been honest with the fact that I have grown kids.

I have been honest about the fact that I am a pretty regular guy: good job, own home, a dog, etc.

I've had tons of responses. But when I send face pics, one of two things happens:

1. They never respond again or follow through with a picture of themselves.

2. They write back somethhing like: Thank you for your email and picture. Unfortunately the spark is not there for me, but I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my response and send your picture. I want to wish you good luck in finding someone special, and I hope your ad does just that.


The only responses that ever show promise are the ones that are either a minimum of five states away....or they are a little on the "different" side. For example, one guy was into me....but as we continues to correspond he wanted to know what kind of dresses and women's clothes I would buy for him to wear.

So, I guess I will just go back into the holding pattern of not looking.

At least I'm consistent in that the photographs of myself never seem to elicit any of those mystical "sparks".

AAARGH!

2 comments:

Java said...

but you are so much more than your photograph. You are so much more than your appearance.

I'll tell you a story. My husband's Uncle Jimmy is one of the ugliest people I've ever seen in my life. He definitely has a face made for radio. Or paper sacks. The first time I saw him I was polite, but all the while thinking "Oh my! He's really ugly." But I got to know him. We visited them, sat around the living room joking, laughing, telling stories, and singing. Jimmy is very musical, plays a guitar beautifully. By the end of our first real visit my impression of his appearance had changed. His face has character out the wazoo, for sure. He still is kinda funny-looking. But now that I know what a funny, talented, charming fellow he is, somehow he's not ugly anymore.

How that relates to your situation I do not know. Perhaps ads and photographs aren't the best medium for meeting people. I'm not sure what if any alternatives there may be, though.

I've read your blog a little bit. You seem to me like a very charming likable guy. I hope someone special takes the time to investigate how you are special.

My word verification is "mingl." Perhaps that's a messsage?

Anonymous said...

Don't be discouraged. People who judge just by looking at a picture are not worth having as friends. There will be someone who will see you for whom you really are--a good person who is deserving of another good person. I wish you the best!