Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Visitors

My daughter has been playing hostess to three Peace Corps volunteers this week. It has been so interesting to have the chatter and all the laughter flooding my house in the middle of the night.

Last night when I came in, exhausted from a very long day, I was greatly disturbed to find that my guest toilet was clogged. I have never seen a toilet so clogged.

I spent a lot of time snaking....and plunging......and using a wire coat hanger. All to no avail.

So, because of all the guests, I called the plumber.

After three and a half hours and $300, all systems are moving and the water is once again flowing freely.

The plumber, a bear of a young man, was very entertaining. He stayed at my house just alking for 3.5 hours. (It only took him about 20 minutes to remove the clog, which turned out to be a wad of papertowels.....six of them to be exact.

We learned all about how he became a plumber.....how plumbing works......how hot water tanks works......water treatment plants work.....etc.

It turns out that he is 34 years old, married, and has a 3 year old daughter and a 7 year old son plus two English Mastifs.

I really did enjoy him.

He was so personable....and kind....with a real gentleness. But I noticed that when he talked to me....there was "that" look. The one that pierces your very soul and drives deep into the bone. I watched as he talked with Jessica. He wasn't that way with her. Oh my goodness.

It turns out that he not only works for a firm that I found in the Yellow Pages, but he also does private contacting on the side. I told him about some other problems that we have, and he is willing to help us out....on a Friday or a Saturday when not working for the other firm.

So, he would certainly be a great person to get to know. Who knows, perhaps he may be family?

Time will tell.

After all we are everywhere!

No comments: