Friday, July 09, 2010

Rejection

Ah...here we come again. A very familiar topic to those of you in Out of the Ashes land!

A gay middle aged man (GMAM#1) meets another gay middle aged man (GMAM#2). They appear to make a substantive connection. They schedule a time to meet again. After all, GMAM#2 says, he can't wait until the next time.

GMAM#1 receives a phone message the next day from GMAM#2. GMAM#2 has a family drama playing out and must attend to it. He is profusely sorry. Says that usually he is not filled with such drama. GMAM#1 texts him to say it's okay...another time. GMAM#2 asks if it is okay for him to call. GMAM#1 says sure.

GMAM#2 calls. Talks for a long while. "Can I call later?" he asks. "Sure" says GMAM#1. They hang up.

Late that night, GMAM#1 texts GMAM#2 to see if he is alright following the drama and receives a terse couple of texts in return, but yes he is okay.

From then on...silence.

I think you get the picture.

In situations like this, one has to ask himself, "What did I do wrong this time?"

This is such a routine event in my life, I have to laugh.

So what happened? I suspect that the other guy became afraid of new feelings.

This is not uncommon.

But to just suddenly go silent?

What happened to manners.

1 comment:

Ron said...

What happened? It doesn't matter. Move on. Everyone, including me, has had their share of rejection. It doesn't matter what your look like, how much money you have, or how wonderful your personality is. Everyone gets rejected at one time or another. It never feels good but the best thing to do is move on. Obviously that person who rejected you (if in fact he did) doesn't realize what a good person you are. Perhaps he is the type who is focused only on physical looks. Maybe he had something else going on in his life. One thing I can tell you that is always a turn off is to be with someone who is negative about themself. I used to have a friend who was always putting himself down. I never understood why he did it because he was attractive (in a nerdy kind of way) and very smart and had a good job. But he couldn't two sentences out of his mouth that he didn't say something negative about himself. That is a big turnoff. Whatever initial physical attraction there was evaporates. You have to like yourself. Also you can't appear anxious. That's also a turnoff. The best thing to do is just be yourself. I read your blogs and I see a genuine person. I don't know what you look like but I do have a good feeling about you from the way you express yourself. I don't see a selfishness or shallowness. I see and hear a person who is lonely and has love to give.