Sunday, June 21, 2020

Scare #2 -- Happy Kidneyversary

Today is the first anniversary of my receiving my kidney, but yesterday was a frightening day.  I had just started coming to terms with the possible liver cancer, when my telephone rang mid-afternoon.

It was my kidney transplant coordinator.  I got a lecture from her about not returning her calls.  I showed no missed calls from her.  It appears that perhaps my spam call software blocked the calls and they never registered -- I have since ditched the software

After we got that settled, my biopsy on my kidney shows signs of rejection!

EEK.  I freaked out!

She ran down this long list of everything I had to do medicine wise.  These included:  going back to an anti rejection med that caused extreme bone aches.  Taking 40 mg Prednisone this week...30mg next week, 20 mg the following week, and then 10 thereafter.  I was then put on 20mg of lasix to elimate retention of fluid.  Finally I needed to contact my endocrinologist to see what adjustments I should take to counter the increase of glucose in my system due to the prednisone and how I should adjust my insulin.  the endocrinologist scheduled me for a 5:30 appt, but then their internet service crashed.  It was rescheduled for 6:30....but she never showed!  

so I rushed to the pharmacy got the prednisone.  I had oodles of the old immune suppressants drug already.  

I called the coordinator back.  This time some of the shock had worn off and I was over my panic attack.  She explained that my recent biopsy revealed the rejection.  But that while we didn't want this to continue,  it did not mean I was in danger of losing my kidney.  It just flagged the need to make adjustments to my meds.  So that made things a lot better for me.  So I'm on day two of the change in meds.  I feel great.  Everyone says that I'm looking great.  I feel great....no symptoms of liver problems or kidney issues.  

WHEW!

So keep me in your thoughts and prayers as we journey on.

1 comment:

Michael said...

What a roller coaster you are on. You are in my thoughts!