Friday, June 26, 2020

"The One Who Got Away"

So in the midst of the storms of my health concerns, today was a great day.  COVID-19 has forced me to telework since March 12.  Due to my immune suppression, I'm a prime target, and therefore I have no set day to return to my office setting.  So, I'm blessed because my office has provided me all the equipment I need to be able to work totally from home.  I have my laptop from the office.  I have a set of dual monitors like I have at my offie and a docking station that hooks it all together.

Additionally, I have fast internet service and am able to carry on just as if I'm right there in my office at 400 7th Street, SW in Washington DC.

While working, it seems that I am far busier hear at thehouse than I am at the office.  I'm having constant meetings via SKYPE FOR BUSINESS or ZOOM or WEBEX.  Occasionally I'll get FACETIME Calls on my cellphone from friends and family.  Depending on what I'm doing, i have tons of things that keep me more than gainfully employed.

I still really relish the work I do.  It keeps me focused and I don't have time to think on my worries.

I worry about the liver.  Yesterday I received a package of information from Georgetown Medical and it was all Transplant related.  I really don't relish going through that red tape again.  You get poked, prodded, pilfered, inspected, scanned, biopsied, and God knows what else.  It will take about 6 months to be listed, then I can accept a transplant preferably from a living donor.    My insurance will cover everything for the donor.  They will receive all testing, treatment, sagery, hospitalization a no charge.  My insurance will cover them and me.  I am so thankful that I have good health insurance.

The big meeting takes place on July 1, 2020.  So I will definitely keep you posted.

Today was also a good day in that I got to spend some significant time on the telephone with the guy that I mentioned in the last post.  He is such a good man and he has helped to restore my thoughts of my fellow gay men.  

He is someone that I met virtually circa 2012.  This was in direct aftermath following the loss of my parents and the liquidation of their estate.  One day we struck up a conversation when I was going through a series of bad days related to their deaths.  I really was in a bad way.  But he was kind to talk me down and to offer to help in any way he could.  He gave me his email address.  His cellphone number and said that I should contact him and wanted to get to know me better.    But, I was not in the frame of mind to ever take him up on that.  As luck would have it, I lost all that valuable contact information.  Always viewed him as the one that got away.  The group we had been part of fell on hard times and I never heard from him again.  I thought of him a number of times...and just shook my head.  Yup, he definitely got away.

Fast forward to early June 2020.  One night my email pinged and I received an email from the old group!  It had returned on a new more friendly platoform than its old one.    So I joined.  There I found a lot of the old gang, but in the back of my mind, I wondered where "the one that got away" was.  I did not dare ask about him, because I wanted to keep my feelings secret at all costs.  

About three days later, he popped up!  I couldn't believe it.  I was afraid.  What if he had changed.  What if he was not interested in me.  What if he had forgotten me.  A million questions fluttered across my mind.  Still I reached out.

His response was somewhat lukewarm.  I was hurt, but I didn't let on and I just thought, "Well at least I can enjoy his friendship and watch his journey from afar...and being the man of faith I am, I would leave it to God."  

One afternoon we were chatting online.  In one portion of that conversation, the door opened for me to say something.  I leveled with him.  Told him that I viewed him as "The One Who Got Away." It amazed him. He was pleasantly shocked.  

Since then, he and I have grown closer.  We've shared stories from our youth, our hopes and dreams

It a good relationship/friendship.  There's a lot of things we must navigate...so I'm leaving it in God's hands.  My new friend has many decisions to make and I'm in no pace to dictate.  I know how I want things to work out.  But I can't say it to him.  That would place undue pressure on him.  

So this could turn into a wonderful relationship  with potential to take me to the end of my life.  OR it could all evaporate in a flash due to the obstacles. 

God knows.  At least I've reconnected with "The One That Got Away."

No comments: