Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Reflections


It was a great weekend….getting to spend it with my parents and #2 from Nashville.

She and I went to a large church for Easter Sunday Morning services.

While there I pondered why it is that people come to church just once a year on Easter or Christimas? Why bother?

The reason I ask is that in front of us on Sunday morning…….there was a whole row of people. Obviously they were all related. There was mommy and daddy, with little boy……and newborn girl. Alongside mommy were mommy’s parents……alongside daddy were daddy’s parents.

When number 2 and I took our places behind this happy family, Little Boy’s face was jammed up against mommy’s mother’s face. He looked as if he could be in pain the way his face was contorted. Mommy had newborn girl in her arms. The newborn girl had on a little pink Easter dress, little socks……and a tastefully matching head band. As mommy watched the little baby, daddy’s mommy took the baby.

The baby was rocked……the baby was jiggled…….daddy’s dad kept talking to the baby…….and making baby noises……baby girgled….. Then, Mommy’s mommy took the baby from daddy’s mommy……. Not to be outdone by Daddy’s mommy, mommy’s mommy proceeded to rock the baby back and forth….rather extensively. If I didn’t know better, I’d bet the baby was a bit seasick from all the back and forward movement……rock…..back and forth…..back and forth…..back and forth………patting baby….back and forth…..back and forth…….. Mommy’s Daddy looked exchausted from all this and he just sat…..even when the congregation stood….he remained unmoving – almost like a statute.

Then daddy’s mommy, took the baby and gave baby a bottle……and rocked her…..back and forth…..back and forth……and the rocking made me begin to feel queasy…..

Just then, mommy’s mommy took the baby…….started rocking the baby even more dramatically……..and this time, she covered the baby from head to toe with a blanket…….. NONE OF THE OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS COULD SEE THE BABY. Daddy’s parents were not amused…..and if looks could kill…..Mommy’s parents would be in existence no longer.

All this drama played out while the minister was preaching about Acts 1:8.

They didn’t hear a single word.

#2 and I got a real chuckle from watching this family in church!

#2 and I had the opportunity to bond more and talk about things that “bug” us. She asked me questions about how I was feeling about the divorce and about her mother etc.

I was honest.

I told her that I wasn’t sure that I could be friends with her when things become final. She is toxic for me. Just hearing her voice makes my skin crawl and my stomach ache.
I don’t think that friends have this effect on people.

I also found out through #2 that Lovey changed her mind again….this time about attending the annual Easter dinner at her mother’s. She did drive in to join her relatives….and the Dentist. (With any luck, she and the dentist will hook up…..and get married…..and live happily ever after….and my alimony will cease! YIPPEE!)

Near the end of the evening, I got some sad news. One of the cousins that I grew up with called an ambulance to come pick her up and take her to the hospital because she was not feeling well. When she got to the hospital, she was immediately placed into ICU, where she died this afternoon.

As I have said before, I’m an only child, but these cousins were like brothers and sisters to me. When they pass away, it pulls a part of my heart out.

Debbie had had a long history of alcoholism. Her life was filled with much drama and turmoil. My only consolation is the fact that she is now with her dad and older brother. She’s safe….and will never have to experience the pain, suffering, and drama ever again.

No comments: