Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Phone Message


I know....I know....this is going to sound so silly. But, I have to share it anyway...it's my way of being authentic and letting you see the real Frank.

The sentimental Frank.

The sensitive Frank.

It's funny....writing that last sentence reminded me of something I haven't thought of in years. Teachers in my elementary school back home always referred to me as being sensitive. I guess I am and always have been "that way."

When I hurt, I tend to cry. Especially now. As I've stated in earlier posts, I can cry basically anytime and any place now. I'm very raw..and one does not have to dig too deep to strike that well of tears and get a gusher in return.

Such is the case tonight.

My mom and dad are planning a trip up here for the next little while. They'll be arriving on Saturday and staying a while. I'm hoping for two week.....at least long enough to get us through my birthday on May 1st and Mom's birthday on May 9th......and even Mother's Day on May 13th. It's a long shot, but I'm still hoping.

Well, Mom and I were shooting the breeze on the cell phone as we do every afternoon. I always check in to make sure she is okay....and she does the same and besides the talking is for free....so we talk about everything. Dad's hearing is shot....and he can't do phones....so mom passes my greetings onto Dad.

At any rate, Mom is on the cell as I come into the house....and I notice that my answering machine is blinking. I play the message....

It's from Lovey's mother. This is after many weeks of no communication. After all, Lovey has said that she wants me to keep away. So, I have.

My former mother-in-law's message was somewhat guarded as my mom would say. She didn't refer to her self as "Mom O'Lovey" but by her first name. Said that she would like to know how I am doing. Blah....blah...she has some mail for me.....that I can come for. "Just don't do it tonight...I'll be at church."

The distance.....the formality.......the aloofness and lack of familiarity bothered me.

Yes, I know I am sensitive.

But jeesh.......25 1/4 years is a very long time to know someone as your second mom and then to have it come down to a cold first name basis. THWAAAAAACK..... It feels like a 2 x 4 has just been hit up the side of my head.

Can anything really hurt any worse than that?

No comments: