Sunday, April 05, 2009

A Death (cont.)

I went to the funeral this morning.

The mortuary was packed

I sat with my boss and another person from the agency where I work.

Surrounding the tiny casket up front were flowers. Words were spoken, songs were sung, poems were read, and the minister spoke. A woman rose and sang "OVER THE RAINBOW" acapella. I pictured the little girl, free from pain and illness wandering through paradise beyond the rainbow....and how excited she must be.

Then near the end of the service, the congregation sang, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".

Finally it was over. Everyone filed out and I greeted the coworker briefly. I then drove to a restaurant for lunch. Drained....sad....and very reflective.

I then received a text message from my daughter in Nashville. It said, "Daddy, have I told you lately how much I love you? Well, I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you today and wanted you to know it."

I melted.

No comments: