Sunday, May 17, 2009

A GREAT Weekend!


It has been a weekend that I have needed on several different fronts.

It began wonderfully well in that my daughter finally got the results of her medical tests. NO CANCER -- just minor stuff that the doctor will follow up on with her on June 19. I am so thrilled that it's not serious and that hopefully we will have a quiet summer ahead. Oh, how I pray I have a good summer.

The retreat was excellent! God certainly had a hold of me during all the sessions. I can sense Him wanting to move in my life in a mightier way. He knows all that I have been going through of late....and the stupid little stuff that has me annoyed. He let me know that He sees it all and that I must wait on Him. This will just be another one of those seasons of silence that He spoke to me about on Ash Wednesday.

So I will wait...watch and listen. Privately.

The new camera worked like a dream. I have some fantastic shots and will publish a couple to accompany this article.

We talked about obstacles in our lives. We were asked to bring a symbol of a obstacle that is no longer part of our lives that we have turned into a joy.

I struggled and struggled about what I should take.

Finally at the very last moment I was passing my china closet and there was the symbol. I wound up taking the cake top from my wedding cake in 1981. Lovey had refused to take it with her when she left. So, I kept it along with some of the other souvenirs from the wedding that I thought my children would find of use.

Lovey's mom worked very hard on that cake top. The group looks like me...with my dark brown beard that I had at the time....and the bride had on a veil and dress that were replicas of the real thing.

It spoke volumes to me. I placed onto the altar at the retreat with the other objects that people had brought symbolizing their mountains/obstacles. I also took along my retreat journal....it contained entries from my first retreat in 2007. In reading those entries and looking back on some of the entries on this blog. I am so shocked at really how far I have come. Issues have faded dramatically -- if not totally evaporated. I am healthier mentally and emotionally.

This is why one goes on retreats -- to ponder and to evaluate. One also has the time to think about one's origin and life's journey.

It's amazing.

Three special individuals spent significant time with me at the retreat. We shared deeply from our hearts....and spoke of our respective journeys. We also listened to each other as we spoke of our individual mountains and our fears....and our regrets. I just cannot begin to describe the love that I felt for these folks. I guess the word is COMPASSION. I understood their hurts and disappointments...just as they understood mine.

In disclosing our feelings...we drew closer.

And it was so special.

This morning as the altar was torn down...and people symbolically retrieved their symbols, I was struck by what each person had brought...and the solemness with which they picked up their items. As I picked up my symbol, I realized for the first time that it was okay to let it all go.

To finally forgive myself for all that has happened.

To understand that it was one of the lessons I was sent her to learn.

To understand it was pain I had to endure.

All these were given to me so that I could be a better listener to others who have hurts and disappointments.

I was also given two big strong arms with which to give gigantic bear hugs to let those undergoing trials or questions......that they are loved.

Beyond mesaure by God....

And...

For what its worth -- me.

Yes a great weekend.

1 comment:

rick said...

It is great to hear that you are in such a good emotional place.

Rick