Friday, May 29, 2009

Time to Catch Up With Frank!

Sorry that I have been so remiss at writing. Things have been so busy now that my daughter from El Salvador has returned. We're in the process of deep cleaning the house, because God knows it needs it. We also need to get rid of a ton of junk, old clothes, etc. So she has graciously volunteered to help me with this task that has been looking at me for the past two years...that I just haven't been able to make myself do. It has just been difficult for me to become motivated to do anything around the house because when I start cleaning out the junk room, I begin running across old stuff from my old life....like a love note from Lovey from many years ago....or a small token from the kids when they were in elementary, and I cry.

I know it's bad....but I'm a softy.

**************

I had quite an interesting experience last Friday when my daughter and I were headed to West Virginia to visit my parents for the long Memorial Day Weekend.

When we were halfway to my destination and we were cruising along the interstate and enjoying the scenic vistas of the mountains, my cellphone rang.

It was Lovey.

These days when I recive such calls, I geta knot in my stomach. I wonder, "What did I do now?"

Well, I picked it up and and said "Hello" in my cheeriest voice possible.

She didn't sound very happy.

"I'm just calling to let you know all that I have been dealing with this morning," she said.

"What's happening?" I asked, still cheery.

"I received a call from the stalker (a long story for another day), who said that she had heard at a funeral recently, that the real reason the Frank and Lovey split was because Lovey is a Lesbian! 'Tell me it isn't true' the stalker blurted out."

I nearly drove off the road....and cackled. That was the funniest thing I had heard. (The real funny thing is that my dad always thought she was a lesbian!)

Lovey then told me that she had gotten to the bottom of the rumor and had called and confronted the person who had informed the stalker. She wanted me to know that she had set the record straight.

I was still chuckling!

"I'm glad you think it's so funny," she said with grand indignance. "I struggle with these accusations all the time," she continued. "As a single, older woman pastor, I am always suspect."

I didn't know that.

Hmmmm. Perhaps Lovey will get a glimmer of what it's like to be whispered about.....or accused of things wrongly. Perhaps she'll understand all the things I went through when she mounted her campaign to discredit me because of my gayness.

I am amazed at how things have a way of coming back to haunt you.

I continued to laugh heartily about Lovey the Lesbian.

How delicious!

3 comments:

Joel A. said...

I have a friend who complains that she gets tired of people assuming she's a lesbian. I told her that I get tired of people assuming I'm a straight guy. She doesn't see how the two are anything alike.

A Troll At Sea said...

Franco:

for what it's worth, I have a friend up here in the Frozen North who finally came out, first to his wife, and then to a wider circle; then he left home. Then his wife came out and moved in with a woman. You just never can tell...

T@C

Vic Mansfield said...

Some day, being called gay or lesbian won't be thought of as an insult.

I hope Lovey will come to understand that it ain't all about her.