Friday, May 08, 2009

A Rather Challenging Week!


I have survived this week.

Thank God.

Last week sucked big time....just from the fact that my boyfriend of three months dumped me..and my pride was hurt. Aw, he was a sweet guy. But, as the relationship progressed, I realized that he wasn't the man for me.

I'm not sure if it was the age(he was in his mid-30s to my 51), or if it was just his little quirks (he has OCD), or if it was the fact that he could be stubborn (he liked to do what HE liked to do and he wouldn't allow me to cook for him), or if it was his stinginess (I could hear George and Abe screaming in his wallet, "Let me out!" LOL), or if it was his Type I Diabetes (he drank a lot of bear.....and his energy levels were never consistent -- he said that I had more energy than any one else he has ever dated). I suppose the real clincher for me that kind of set me on edge was the fact that one day he and I were talking and I asked him, "Of all the people you've dated and partnered with (he has lived with several guys), have you ever been in love?" "Nope," he responded. "Never."

The list goes on...

So, I had reached the conclusion that I needed to stop the relationship....but you know me. I tolerated 25 years in a loveless marriage hoping THAT would get better. Is it really any surprise that I was going to let the relationship proceed until after our church retreat in mid-May before I pulled the plug.

Well, the guy pulled the plug on me first.

As I licked my wounds, I was looking forward to a nice evening with a friend who was celebrating his birthday at a wonderful Italian Restaurant in NW DC. When I arrived, can you imagine my feelings when I find out that one of my best friends in the whole wide world is dating my EX boyfriend?

Well, that's exactly what happened.

I was humiliated....mortified....etc.

Not to mention, shocked that my ex was hitting the dating game so soon after the breakup. He certainly didn't let the grass grow under his feet! -- But for all the momentary blips of pain I encountered, in the end this all served as my confirmation that he was not the one for me.

I just hope that my friend does not wind up getting hurt as a result of this new relationship.

From what I can see, his relationship with my EX has started much in the same manner as mine did: lots of fire.....lots of passion....thinking about each other all the time...spending as much time as they can......yadda, yadda, yadda. And I have to hand it to them, my EX is hurling the "L" word to my friend. So maybe this is different.

For them.

I pray so.

Sunday morning I appeared at church sans boyfriend. A dear lesbian friend approached me cautiously to ask of my ex's whereabouts. I informed her that he was not longer my BF and that he was now dating my friend.

She shook her head.

After a few moments, she said, "This is probably a good thing for you, Frank, in the long run. We may be seeing a pattern develop and I would hate to see you hurt."

True. It seems that my ex has seen his share of men...so many in fact that I can't seem to keep up with all of their names.

I just hope that my friend doesn't wind up being hurt.

We'll see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Frank, Keep that chin up. It will work out when you find the right guy. Good luck ! John

RB said...

Sounds like it's for the best...move on