Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Databreaches

In this era where there is a greater emphasis on cybersecurity, or should I say lack thereof at some sites, I'm very conscious of scams and the like. So far during the past year I've had my check card replaced three times due to a databreach. Then add to this the hacking into government computer systems -- specifically the Office of Personnel Management...well, as a government employee...I feel tremendously violated.

I have free credit monitoring. My social security number is being monitored. (I had just had my clearance renewed, and found out that database was also compromised. So I'm one of the lucky ones that is suspected of some stranger accessing all my information and the social security numbers of my family members I put on my clearance forms.

In the past week, I've received an unusual number of robo-calls from the IRS saying that a lawsuit is about to be filed against me. My daughter received one of these at her office.

I also have seen an increase of people who appear to be friends of mine, that say in part that they are on vacation with their family and were mugged. They have no money. Can I wire money to them to help them until they get their cards back.

All of these are classic scams. If you get a call from the IRS....don't provide any information, but hang up immediately. The IRS does not contact people like that and threaten. Don't provide social security information or bank account information. If you receive emails from friends on holiday....do not respond.

Databreaches continue to happen. Be watchful and vigilant.

No comments: