Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Morning Thoughts

Life are can be interesting.

Occasionally I realize that I have been carrying around some baggage that has not been fully dealt with. Even though I would liken it to be of a small carry on size, it still causes discomfort until I get the courage to deal directly with it.

Such was the case recently pertaining to a situation involving a very close friend. He's been dealing with "stuff" and I suddenly found myself sitting across from him as he expressed his pain. But the funny thing is that is identical to what I went through with him a few years ago.

It had bothered me. It was raw. I felt like I had something truly wrong with me. I felt as though I couldn't move on. It affected every fiber of me.

So, as he sat across the table from me commiserating, I grew a pair of balls and said, "I know EXACTLY how you feel and here's why."

I didn't dump on him. I didn't say this to inflict wounds to his already wounded spirit.

I did it as a pure teaching moment. While he felt totally devastated with a woe is me attitude, I used it as an opportunity of showing him that you can get passed the the issue. AND...it makes you a much better person.

You see, I dealt with the hurt and bad feeling about this friend years ago. So, I could speak matter of factly. Directly. Without the deep emotion I had originally had. After that meeting upon reflection, I was totally amazed at how well that discussion turned out. I was especially amazed at how much growth I detected in me.

Yes, bad experiences force us to grow. Sort of like those mysterious growing pains we have as children.

But as painful as those can be sometimes, we can rest in the comfort of knowing that we are growing.

Only living things grow.

On this Sunday morning, I'm in a good place.

No comments: