Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Busy Good Weekend

#1 and I have been working like fiends to get the house in final tip-top shape before everyone comes home for Christmas. #1 and I will be hosting #2 and My Son The Marine, along with my parents. It will be the first time any of them have seen what all have been done to the little townhouse. I'm excited. #1 is excited.

WHEW...and I'm exhausted.

Yesterday (Saturday) I passed a milestone of sorts. All during this time of change and turmoil and cleaning out junk, I would generally lose my composure when I would run across an anniversary card....or a Valentine's card....or a birthday card from Lovey. When I would reread all of her prose, I would tear up...and I would have to stop what I was doing and go do something else. It bothered me to read those cards and all her affectionate sentiments.

BUT YESTERDAY, I ran across some really mushy ones from early on in our marital relationship and you know what? They had no effect on me whatsoever. I just put them into a folder and filed them away with other very old keepsakes. I found Lovey's will....I found a multitude of sermons. I read several of the cards to #1...and #1 shook her head and said, "They're all sermons!"

I responded...."Yes, that's all I remember getting." All the cards we found bore this out. #1 was amazed.

I didn't tear up once. I didn't sob...

I just shook my head and went on about my business.

This is a sign of tremendous growth for me.

I never thought I would get out of the rut...but I think I'm getting there.

Friday Night this week is the big night! #2 walks across the stage at her school and receives two degrees. Look out world....my baby girl is on her way.

I'll be with all three of my kids. I think it will be wonderful.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Vic Mansfield said...

Glad your weekend was good. Hope the whole season will be even better. I hope time with your children will be peace-filled (in the shalom sense).

I anticipate this year as being the last Christmas for my family as presently configured. Who knows what next year will be.

But to you, the very best!

Cheers, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Frank:
Sometimes it takes a little distance to see things for what they were. You have grown a lot in the last year. But Lovey was also doing the best that she knew how. We are all on our own growth plans and it seems like yours is succeeding. Congratulations; celebrate with #2 and enjoy the holidays with your family.
Rick