Thursday, December 21, 2006

Some News

My attorney called today.

She heard from Lovey's attorney.

Lovey's attorney says that we are all now in agreement on all points concerning the separation. It has only taken a year and a half to reach this point.

The main sticking point has been my reservation of spousal support. In the state of Virginia, when you are going down this awful path, you must state in certain language that you reserve the right to seek support in the event your circumstances warrant. When Lovey saw this language in my first draft back in October '05, she went full tilt. It was basically okay for her to get everything....and basically take me to the cleaners....but woe unto me if I expect some things out of this processs.

The last draft she sent to me this past July, she had a hand written note that said: "I'm not comfortable with this language."

My attorney said that regardless of what she thought....I had the right to have this reservation, made in the statutory language. So, the attorney's have been pretty much duking it out.

I've kept a pretty low profile with Love on all this....and today, I got the word that she finally agreed to all this.

So, after the first of the year, we should have a signed Separation Agreement...YESSSSS.

My attorney then said that at the end of the voice mail that was left by Lovey's attorney....he kind of stammered and stuttered as he said, "Do you think your client might be willing to begin paying alimony before the agreement is signed because Lovey has spent her proceeds from the sale of the family home?"

My attorney giggled a bit....and said that there is no requirement for me to do anything like this. I then asked, "What's in this for me, if I do that?"

My attorney said, "No offer has been made of any kind."

I said, "Well, I'm not inclined to do this..."

So both the attorney and I are ignoring this little twist. I haven't a clue as to what she did with her share of the money, which was pretty sizeable. BUT...this is very typical of her spending habits..... No one believes that she couldn't control her spending....they all think I was the problem. Which wasn't true.

Oh well.....interesting.

Tomorrow night is the big Christmas bash at Mom O'lovey's. This time I did receive an invitation....but I'm not going. My parents are in town...and I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

I've decided that 2007 is going to be a big year for me. To heck with Lovey and her family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to heck? Congrats on that agreement, though.