Tuesday, October 10, 2006

ICK!

My life appears to be settling down.

A lot.

My blood pressure has continued to drop. My doctors are all pleased.

This past Thursday, I went in for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. I figured that because my mother had waited so long, and nearly paid the ultimate price for her folly, that I wouldn't make the same mistake, and have it all done...2 years early. I'm 48 and they recommend that you have such things beginning at age 50. So, if you're around my age, don't put it off. You'll be glad that you did.

I received some great news. I am all clear. No polyps. Nothing odd or different "there"...so they want to see me back to have another colonoscopy in 5 years.

The endoscopy revealed that I have the H. Pylori bacteria. It's the little varmint they've decided that causes peptic ulcers. In my case, there were numerous "erosions" that indicated that I had had the bacteria in my stomach for many years. The doctor said that it is transmitted through food and water. He did multiple biopsies just to make sure of his diagnosis. However, he was pretty confident of what the culprit was.

Now, I must confess that I have had stomach "issues" for the past 5-7 years. I've had lots of gurgling, bloating, gas, etc. I always attributed it to my diabetes and the resulting metabolism disruptions. I lost my appetite. Food did not taste right. I had heartburn...tomato sauces or rich gravies...and even water would give me heart burn. Diahrrea was fierce. ICK. I felt like older age had dealt me some "unlucky" cards.

The doctor gave me some rather strong antibiotics and other medicines to destroy the bacteria and to allow the erosions to heal. I've now been on those medications for six days and to be totally honest, I have never felt so good. The food feels good going down....and I feel as though I'm getting nourishment. The food even tastes better.

I am amazed at how good I feel....and in turn, how it has affected my overall mood.

That mood helped me a whole lot when Lovey called the evening of my procedure to bitch. She also hurled barbs about how I had made her life hell during our marriage, and how I've not been supporting her. It just goes on and on.

But I was in a much better place, and I challenged her comments. I pointed out that the separation and divorce had been delayed because SHE had not approved the settle agreement in over a year. I also cited the fact that she had lived in my home rent-free and utility free for over a year.

She tried to get nasty...but I just kept my distance emotionally and relaxed. Much like the old Frank of many years ago.

It's funny...but now I'm beginning to see lots of little glimmers of the old Frank of many years ago....pre-Lovey.

I'm hopeful. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Bigg said...

I'm hopeful too, Frank! I will definitely stay tuned...

bear said...

Good news! nothing beats pepping up the mood with tasty food!

You've grown stronger so you are better able to deal with all the crap. Good for you!
(Make sure to stick to the regimen and finish all of it...or the bacteria could be back and harder to kill.)