Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Anyway


Music has always been a part of my life.

My parents surrounded me with music when I was a child. We had a sizeable record collection, 8-track tape collection, cassette collection, 78rpm record collection, assorted 45s, albums, reel-to-reel tapes, and then we moved into the CD age. I used to spend hours before the hi-fi- or stereo...the victrolas (yes we even had two of those), whatever and would listen and listen to various artist pour their hearts out into their music.

When I was a teenager, I even religiously bought BILLBOARD magazine to read about the industry and to track my favorite songs up the chart. I'd read song/artist reviews, listen to the countdown programs and choose songs I thought would make the top 40, the top 10 and even #1.

I got to be pretty good.

As time and responsibilities crept in, I didn't get to spend as much time listening to music, or building my collection, or really pay attention to the record charters any more. But, one of the things I did do, I was able to pass my love of music down to my children. One of them, #2, has now chosen to pursue music as a career in Nashville. I am so proud of her and expect great things from her.

But I digress.

Throughout my years of playing music, occasionally a song would come along that would simply capture my attention. It gave me goosebumps. A really good song would give my goosebumps, goosebumps. I'm not sure if it was the words, the melody, the arrangement or what -- but something did "it" to me.

When this happened, I would have to run right out and get it.

Well, back in November I was minding my own business and I watched the Country Music Awards. Some of you highbrow folks will probably want to look down your noses at me, but I confess, not only am I queer, but I love Country Music. Actually I like all kind of music, but I have a special affinity for Country Music.

In the latter portion of that awards program, the beautiful songstress Martina McBride came on to sing her song "Anyway". I yawned.

But this song did it for me.

The goosebump factor went to 1000%.

The message of the song hit a little close to home.

I cried.

When it was over, I knew that I just had to buy that song! (Thankfully I had recorded it on my trusty DVR!) But I couldn't find it! I scoured the Web...and folks had done what I had done and recorded it from the program.

FINALLY, yesterday it became available on I-Tunes.

You simply have to go give it a listen.....or buy it. It is an awesome piece of music written by McBride herself. Do a search on Google of "Anyway Martina McBride and scroll through the hits. When you get to the Music.Aol site, you can listen to it for free. It's also available for download at a lot of sites.

It is my anthem right now. It hits every area of my life.

For your reading pleasure, I provide the lyrics here that I found on the Web.

This is my Valentine's Day present to each of you.

*****
ANYWAY

You can spend your whole life building something from nothing
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway

You can chase a dream that seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway

Chorus:
God is great,
But sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway,
I do it anyway

This world's gone crazy
And it's hard to believe that tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway

You can love someone with all your heart, for all the right reasons,
And in a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway

Repeat Chorus

You can pour your soul out singing a song you believe in
That tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway,
Sing it anyway

I sing,
I dream,
I love,
Anyway,

**********

To all my readers: Happy Valentine's Day........I have come to LOVE each of you deeply.

Frank

2 comments:

bear said...

Aw! You're so sweet! (hugs)

john said...

Dear Frank,
What a beautiful song. I'm going to go out and buy it. It will make me think of some of the struggles that I have had throughout life.

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

P.S. I am queer and I love country music. In fact I would have to say that 90 percent of my iPod contains country music.