Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Echoes From An Empty House


Well, she's gone.

#1, as I write this, is now in her new country: El Salvador.

When I dropped her off on Monday, I felt as though my heart would be ripped from my chest. She had to spend 3 days of orientation at a hotel in Georgetown and then depart this morning at 6am for Atlanta....and then on to San Salvador, the capital city of El Salvador.

I cried all the way from Georgetown to Rosslyn VA. It hurt so bad.

But, I haven't told you the WHOLE story....the story that compounded my hurt.

My son, the marine, came to this area in order to spend time with his sister before she left. At least, this was the story he told. It didn't happen. He spent all of his time with his friends. Sunday night he called us to say he was on his way...but that he was drunk....and a friend was driving him. At 10:30 that evening, we got another call from him that said, "My friend was pulled over for speeding....I should be there in about an hour."

Well, by 1am when we hadn't heard anything, both #1 and I were exhausted. I went to bed, but #1 kept on tinkering with her luggage. She finally turned in at 3am.

At 4:15 a.m. I was awakened from a sound sleep by the Fairfax County Magistrate's office to say that my son had been arrested. She then went on to say that the friend was arrested and charged with DWI. MSM was arrested for assaulting a police officer. He refused to follow directions by the police.

The voice on the other end of the phone continued to tell me that my son could not be bailed out until after 8am. They wanted him to sober up first.

I said okay....and we hung up and I went back to sleep.

At 5:15, I got a call from MSM....who was a little belligerant.....and I told him that I would be there after eight. He argued and voiced his opinions. But I said, it doesn't matter what you think, the police will not permit you to leave until after eight.

#1 and I hurried there at 8:00...but was told that he was being arraigned and would not be made available until after 9:30. #1 and I had to rush back and get some things done before she had to be in Georgetown.

I was worried about MSM. But I had no way to communicate or even get messages to him

So, I got #1 settled in her hotel....and drove all the way around the beltway to Fairfax County...stressed out. When I got there, I learned that he had been released at noon. No calls or anything.

Later on that evening, I learned that he had called throughout the family adn talked about how his dad had left him in jail and refused sing him out.

I confronted him.

He started yelling.....as he does when he doesn't want to listen....... He finally said, "I don't have to listen to you anymore..." I agreed and hung up on him.

So that grieved me...and compounded my issues with the departure of #1.

My sense of grief was greatly lessened when I heard from #1 last night and we were able to have dinner together. It brought closure.....I was given an address.....and so I don't feel so detached from my daughter.

The house is now empty.....only me and Davy Dawg. This house is so different now without the laughter and noise caused by children. Yes, this house only has echoes of its former self.

1 comment:

bear said...

oh no...sorry to hear your son had such a bad night,and such bad timing. You did what you did and said - it's in the past...but I think you should make amends immediately with your son. Life is REALLY too short. Don't let this fight fester. You really do care about him and this is eating you up so fix it before it's too late.