Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Growing Pains


Do you remember growing pains?

I do. I remember having them in my legs and in my jaws. They hurt badly. One day in particular I remember. My jaws hurt and nothing I could do would make them feel better. On this particular Sunday night, I had been with my parents at the bowling alley watching them bowl in their weekly league.

Back in those days, league scores were kept with a grease pencil on overhead transparencies. The image of the league scores were projected on screens over the lanes. That night, as everyone was putting on their shoes to get ready to leave, the scorekeeper turned off the overhead projector and got up. I went over and sat down and put my cheek down on the heat of where the projector had been on.

It felt sooooo good.

It alleviated those awful growing pains.

Pain comes in many different forms. It serves as an indicator of many different conditions. Growing pains tell you that you’re alive and changing. It’s the body’s way of letting you know that it is making room for greater capacity. It hurts.

Emotionally I think that’s what has been happening to me lately. I’m growing in all kinds of ways – emotionally. It’s only when I go back and re-read some of my earlier posts on this blog or in my journal entries or in my letters and email to friends and family do I see just how far I have come.

Then I feel better about myself.

I don’t feel crazy.

I don’t feel isolated.

I’m becoming hopeful again -- hopeful about my journey -- hopeful about my future --hopeful about everything!

Hope is not something I can live without.

Talked with both #1 and #2 yesterday. It was good hearing from the both of them. I mailed out my first “care” package to El Salvador. It should arrive there in 5-7 days. I sent #1 the first three volumes of her Spanish Hairy Potter books. She can read them to the children in her village and have a blast.

#1 told me that she had gotten a little homesick over the weekend, but being able to talk with me helped. #2 tried out for Carnival Cruises today to become a performer. Not sure if she’ll be accepted or not, but at least she tried.

No word from the marine. Hopefully he’s not experiencing too much fallout from his escapade in jail.

So, a new day brings all kinds of opportunities to learn and to grow.

I just have to remember that growth is sometimes painful…and growth means I am alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed there is pain in growth and in life, and feelings including pain tell us that we are alive. I am so glad to see you expressing that truth. Not just for you but for all of us out here, for when we cease to feel we cease to live.