Monday, May 22, 2006

Celebration!


Yesterday I got to spend again with “them.”

Yeah, you know those people…they’re the ones I spent Mother’s Day with.

This time we were at my mother-in-law’s house. The house where “Lovey” grew up. The one where all her sisters grew up. The one where I have spent countless hours at similar family gatherings in.

Everyone was in a festive mood. It seemed like everyone was there to celebrate something. The prime reason, of course, was to celebrate my daughter’s graduation. They also celebrated the wedding anniversary of Suzanne’s oldest sister and husband.

Then, there was the other couple…”Lovey’s” niece and her fiancee’s wedding which is scheduled for October 14.

I overdosed on all the marital bliss.

I walked into the living room and there was “Lovey’s” picture – hanging just under her mom’s wedding day picture. “Lovey” was smiling broadly, holding her bouquet, every hair in place, and the gown was exquisite!

Gee, what a difference 25 years makes! Bet it won’t be too much longer for that picture to be taken down…

I find myself in a different place today. Perhaps it’s a bit of melancholy. Perhaps it’s a bit of longing for the olden days.

I keep telling myself that those days are gone forever….and that really, when you stop and think about it, those days weren’t all that good.

Still, there is a comfort in what used to be…; the future, right now, is just way too scary and uncertain...

No comments: