Friday, May 19, 2006

Rubble


Back in the years when “Lovey” and I were dating, there was a pizza place that she and I frequented. We even went there when she was pregnant and she ate for lunch, an entire bowl of Jalapeno Peppers – ONLY!

Yesterday, I was in that section of town. I drove to the spot that had once been so familiar to us.

The restaurant was nothing more than a pile of rubble.

The sign says that it will be replaced by a fast food restaurant.

As I sat there looking at the rubble before me, I couldn’t help but feel how appropriate this was. After all, look at my marriage. It’s nothing more than a pile of rubble too.

I got home and let my dog out.

I went inside and looked around at my house. It, too, is nothing more than a pile of rubble. Boxes and boxes everywhere…piles of papers…..tupperware…..pictures…..everywhere I looked, pieces of a marriage that once was.

Yes, in about four weeks, “Lovey” will be history. She’ll walk out the door of my house for the final time.

Her boxes will be gone. The furniture will be gone. The bookcases will be gone. The books will be gone. The china will be gone. Her clothes will be gone.

Us will officially be me. We will officially become I. Ours will officially become mine.

I will rise from the rubble….out of the ashes….I will become master of my own destiny. out of the ashes….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now the question is "what to build after the rubble is cleared?" I don't think I would want "fast food". Something rustic maybe but unique and interesting. How about you?

Rick