Thursday, May 11, 2006

Why?


Why do I feel like I do?

Why am I unhappy at the moment?

Why do I feel left out just because my wife is getting her long-held desire to pastor not one, but two churches at once?

Why am I sad that for the first time in 24 years, I'm not invited to the family gathering to celebrate Mother's Day, when I don't really want to be around those people anyway?

Why am I gay?

Why can't I get past all these confusing feelings and move on?

Why can't I be REALLY happy?

Why do I feel like such a failure as a human being?

Why do I feel like I'm floundering?

Why do I feel like I'm whining all the time?

Why do I feel like I'm stuck on a roller coaster and will never get off?

Why do I worry so much about my future?

Why am I so unsure of myself and what I can do?

Why do I feel like this?

Can someone tell me?

Why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank:
I doubt that anyone, other than yourself, can answer your why questions, certainly not me. For me, the answers to questions like these sort of dawn on me after some length of time – from the subconscious. They do not come from linear left brain thinking. I find that one way to help out the subconscious is to give my conscious mind something else to do so that it stops getting in the way. Go visit patients in a hospital or nursing home, help out with a habituate for humanity project, pack a picnic basket and find a homeless person with which to share it, anything that can take you out of your own problem and into someone else’s.
What I often find myself doing is getting so wound up in what I think that I want that I forget just how wonderful it is to be able to take this next breath, to feel it expand my chest, to savor the next bite of food, to laugh at myself. When I come back to those things the rest seem not all that important.
Best of luck – and if you do these things and you are still depressed, maybe it is time to consider a chemical adjustment. You have been and are under a lot of stress, maybe some extra help is needed.

Rick