Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Being Thankful

I had several long discussions with my mother yesterday via telephone. She sounded strong and like the old mom. This was such an encouragement to me since she has had to endure so much. Earlier in the week she was complaining about the chemo and the fact that she was going to stop it because it was useless.

I told her that she shouldn't give up...that she only had one more chemo treatment to endure. After that, I said, you can decide what to do.

Well, she calmed a bit. Yesterday they did a full body scan to determine what her body is doing and how the cancer is reacting to the chemo....and to the radiation that she has endured. Her new hip is great! She is walking now without a cane, crutch or walker. On top of this she is all excited about cooking Thanksgiving Dinner!

Both my daughters will be with me at the Thanksgiving Table. It means more than I can say having them there.

So, tomorrow, I will be making my journey to West Virginia. The girls will be traveling from Nashville and meet me there.

On Thursday we will pause to give thanks for all the blessings we have experienced this year: mom's successful hip replacement, the chemo treatments, the radiation treatments, the girls' success, my health, and the fact that we are all together yet another time!

These last few years I have learned so much. For instance, I've learned that as a young man I took so much for granted -- even at times when I thought I was being sincerely thankful for my blessings.

I really didn't know how to be satisfied with the little things.

But now I am.

I thank God for every breath I take...for every breath my loved ones are permitted to take....

I am especially thankful this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank,
Thank you for your wise words of thanks for every breath we take. It is so true. When we face difficult times, we realize how good we had it at other times. This happens to be a very good time for me, so I am also thankful for every breath I take.
All the best,
Brother Bear