Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Frank Goes Out On a Date

It's a miserable, rainy night outside. It's dark and gloomy. But, I'm headed to a friend's house to view the election returns....and have dinner. It should be a good group of guys to spend time with.

On the mom front: she seems to be doing much, MUCH better. The nausea has evaporated. When I talked to her last evening she was cooking dinner for my dad in her kitchen. This is the first time she has done this in over two months. She sounded much like her old self. I was glad to hear it in her voice.

She also told me that her last remaining sister-in-law died yesterday afternoon. She was in her mid-90s, had been ill for quite sometime... So, her death came as a relief to many.

On my front...I have launched into the deep and started "dating". Yup...I've kissed off the office guy as a very lost cause. There is no reason to believe that he was ever seriously interested in me. So I have totally backed away....regardless of the fact that he still sends mixed signals....kisses and hugs.

In my research, I found another dating site. This one is for older gay men and "their admirers." Since I am "older"...I decided that it would be good open up my horizons. My other dating ads just don't seem to work.

So, I put another out there on this particular site. I've had almost 200 hits....and a host of emails and what are referred to as "gropes" by older men....and younger men in their early 20s. (Who knew?)

One particular guy was eager to meet me. To be honest, when I have a man that is that eager...I have warning bells go off in my head...and I just know it is isn't going to work out.

Last night's "date" was not a disappointment.

It was nice....and all.....and we talked and got to know one another a little. But when I got up to leave...I could feel that this wasn't really going to head any where. He did give me a hug. So, that's nice.

But no email follow ups....or phone calls or anything. I did write him to thank him for dinner and the nice evening. I wasn't going to be a clod about things.

It's almost funny.

I mean.

I meet a man...or develop a crush on someone because of the mixed signals I receive. Either they are gracious and warm and then I never hear from them again.....or I get dumped.....or the mixed signals happen and nothing really happens. That "next" step or next level just never seems to happen.

The last time I checked I didn't have an extra eye in my forehead....or horns sticking up out of my head...... It makes me wonder what in the heck I'm doing so wrong.


This shouldn't be so hard.....but I'm finding it very difficult.

I hope you all voted today. If not, please do.

2 comments:

A Troll At Sea said...

Franco:

think about it: would you want to count on a computer to choose the people you spend time with? let alone the PERSON you spend time with? In my itty-bitty bit of experience, men on the internet, like men anywhere else, have one thing on their mind, and dinner is usually not it, unless it's a down-payment on something else.

Have you tried volunteering? or joining a group of gay men that share one of your hobbies?

I'm a fine one to talk--I went to Leather Night and got run over by a steamroller. But the previous, internet experience was anything but inspiring.

Maybe you should try Leather Night...

T@C

Anonymous said...

Dating is difficult for everyone - but especially for older people who are getting back into it.

I rate and review all the dating sites for older men and their admirers at www.graygay.com/links_dating.htm and also have a guide to safe, successful online dating at http://www.graygay.com/safesurfing.htm

I agree that joining social groups is a way of meeting people that share your interests and a good start - but it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find someone you're attracted to (and vice versa)

The web provides many more opportunites to meet Mr Right (or Mr. Right Now) providing you go to the right websites and think of rejection as his loss and not yours!

You just have to keep kissing the frogs!

Regards

Paul
GrayGay.com