Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Unexpected Day Off

With threats of a large winter storm, the federal government closed today. So, I was able to just turn over and sleep in this morning. I had a wonderful time just staying warm and dry. But I did have some interesting moments.

I got a number of telephone calls from men I have come to know through the years. One in particular called me and I called him back last night and we talked for quite sometime. We did FACETIME with our respective IPhones...and it was good to see him.

He has been suffering a lot lately in that he has spent a whole lot of time tending to his sick wife. She knows he is gay and she controls every aspect of his life. She also berates him and seems to be quite controlling.

He is really at his breaking point.

I can understand why.

He called because she was away, and he just had to hear a friendly and understanding voice on the other end of the line.

Well, I have no problems talking.

We talked about everything.

We talked about men. We talked about our past loves. We talked about breakups. We talked about divorce. We talked about kids.

I shared with him some resources -- even showed him some funny gay videos. I actually got the man to laugh and laugh and laugh. Via FACETIME he was even able to meet one of my children.

Here's the note I received this morning from him:

Good Morning!

I am in such a better place this morning. It was great to laugh, relax and be myself. I did want to share with you 2 of the commercials that I mentioned last night. The first is the Volkswagen commercial with the dad throwing the baseball to his son. The second is the Amazon commercial,


I am sitting here replaying our entire conversation through my mind... and something that gave me such joy is to see the relationship you have with your daughter. I am so glad that I got a glimpse... it gives me hope.

So much of my personality and psyche is wired to be the "peacekeeper" that I wonder if I can ever rock the boat to be authentic and last night was a glimpse into how your being true to yourself and those you love, is really peaceful.

Thank-you for being a part of my life and journey. Fondly, B


When I receive messages like this, it helps me see just how far I have come. It also makes me very happy that I was able to brighten someone else's day -- especially when he is traveling a similar road that I have... God knows it isn't easy.

No comments: