Thursday, June 15, 2006

Coming Out


I just came out to someone at my office.

It's not something I had planned to do. It just happened.

I have known this woman for many years here at the office. She's very matter of fact...no nonsense.....and she's a lesbian. She's out....she's proud.....and she's partnered....very happily.

She had come to see me about a business matter.

About six months ago she had caught me in our cafeteria where I had taken refuge from my drama for a cup of coffee. It was not a good time. She could see it written all over my face.

I told her of the divorce....she was supportive.

Today, as she was leaving my office, she turned and said....

"And....how are YOU? How are things?"

I gave her an update....told her about June 20, etc.

Then I felt a nudge... I don't know where it came from. But an inside voice said, "Go ahead and tell her."

So I did.

She hugged me.

She said that she was honored that I had told her.

She told me to be strong. "I know that you are already," she said. "We'll talk more."

She gave me another big hug and left.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Frank! It is great to be able to get support from others. The more I crack the door on my closet the better it gets. Not every one will be accepting, but then at least you know; the fear of the unknown seems to often be worse.

john said...

I don't know if I'll ever be ready to really say it outloud.

Brad said...

Way to go, tiger!

bear said...

Nice. Yeah, expect that when you have an "outing" (I alluded to it earlier when you saw the architect at pride.) It's a customary supportive "I accept you" type hug...
For me tomorrow is my first public "outing" at a WEDDING with my partner...coworkers and other people I know won't necessarily approve...should be interesting. Wish me luck.

Nate said...

All of the people I have come out to (all four) have used the same word - honored.

Awesomely brave of you guy.