Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Milestones


Today my twin daughters turn 22. It's an amazing milestone.

Regardless of the fact that I am gay and the fact that my marriage is a thing of the past, practically, these two individuals, along with their adopted brother, constitute the ultimate products of Lovey and I. When all is said and done, they are my children. I cherish them.

The favorite part of being married was the part of becoming a dad. From my earliest years, I remember thinking about how I would be a good dad. I decided that I would spend time with my children. I would try and be at all their events. I would be there for all their hurts and failures. I would be there at all their triumphs and successes.

Most of all, I would love them fiercely.

I'll never forget seeing my daughters arrive in this world.

They were delivered via C-section. When #1 was delivered, I saw the doctor reach in and pull her butt first into the world. (I kid her now by saying that I've known her butt longer than her! She just rolls her eyes and shakes her head.) After the initial oohs and ahs by the hospital staff and my holding her...and her mom holding her, they wrapped her in a warm blanket and put a hat on her head.

Then, we focused on the arrival of #2.

#2 was lifted from her mother. The doctor had his hands under each arm. From the moment she arrived, she squirmed, she whimpered, she cried, she wasn't happy about being disturbed and being brought into the world.

After initial introductions, I was allowed to follow them to the nursery to be weighed and checked. I didn't take my eyes off of them.

These two squirming naked bundles of flesh were put under warmers. #1 yawned and went to sleep peacefully. #2 was still mad...screaming at the top of her lungs. I went over and stroked her left cheek with a finger and whispered...."It's okay little one, I'm here....I'm your daddy."

From that moment until now, I've worked at being a good dad. I kept all the promises I made to myself long ago. I spent much time with them. We went to the park....we went swimming.....we went to see plays....we explored the town where we lived....I played with them.....I talked to them......I listened to what they had to say. I went to all their school events. I tried to kiss all their boo-boos....I laughed at all their adventures.

One of my favorite things was getting to see the world through their eyes. I got to see them experience the world. And it taught me so very much.

And here...22 years later....they are each beautiful young women.

Each with their own talents and dreams.

And I'm still here...loving them fiercely.....cheering them on from their balconies.

Now I count them as confidants....as close friends....

"For my daughters on their birthdays, I loved teaching you things when you were little girls... but did you know how much I was learning from you at the same time? Seeing your reactions to the world, listening to your fresh, new outlooks, and sharing in things that were important to you taught me a lot about the responsibilities -- and joys -- of being a parent. And watching you turn out to be the wonderful young women you are has reinforced something I've known all along -- you're each very special daughters! Happy Birthday with all my love, Daddy"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, pop! I know you're enjoying their birthday. It's always a time for a trip down memory lane.

I've also got 22-year old twin daughters ... 4 weeks older than yours.

Frank said...

Thanks guy for your post. There is just something special about daughters.....and to have two of them at once.....Double the pleasure! Congratulations to you Dad!