Thursday, June 08, 2006

Diversions


There he was….wandering through my offices again!

Yup, the guy…the young one…..the one that I wrote about two days ago…the one that made me stutter….even stammer and who made my mind wander.

We locked eyes.

He smiled. God, that smile again.

The room exploded in light. Birds chirped….the angels sang….my heart felt like it would leap out of my chest.

I got flustered.

“Friday is my last day,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Really?” I said, trying to be nonchalant.

“Yeah. I got a job that is seven minutes from my house. I’m excited about it.”

“Congratulations,” I answered.

“So, do you have any plans for the weekend?” he asked.

“I’m going to do a few things with friends,” I said. “How about you?”

“Aw, when you’re recently out of college, your friends have all kinds of plans that never pan out.”

“How long have you been out of college?” I asked.

“Oh, two years. But, I have lots of plans.”

“Well, good for you!”

Over the span of the next ten minutes, I learned that he lived in another city about an hour north. He’s originally from the farm country of Ohio. (Somehow he looked “homegrown” with that physique….working in the fields….perspiration dripping down his shirtless chest…..those muscles glistening in the noon day sun…..)

I digress...

He owns his own house. His name is Matt. He’s an architect. He’s renovating his house. “I’ve been putting in new studs throughout,” he says proudly. (Don’t go there.)

He wants to own his own firm within 10 years. He’s 24.
There was that smile again.

He shook my hand. Great grip. We lock eyes again.

Maybe I’ll see him again…

Gee I hope so.

What a great diversion from the drama of my life.

Sorry Zack (again)!

3 comments:

bear said...

(interesting blog, found you through the links.)

Diversions...um. He's totally hitting on you, your missing it!!

Clues:
1) eye contact: the dead giveaway. You're probably totally cluing him in too unconsciously through body language etc.
2) he keeps coming around...to see YOU.
3) he winked at you. guys don't normally wink at each other after looking back (e.g. which is also called the "double take" a clue again.)
4) he's carefully trying to ask you out! Think about it. Why does he care what you're doing this weekend? (especially if his last day is Friday!) AND he's telling you he's available too, again why should you care?

The problem is you're not biting, so he might think of this as a kind rejection on your part, so once he's gone...that's it.

suggestions: If you DO want to see him again (he will stop by again Friday I bet) tell him if he wants to grab a beer or hang out sometime to call you/email you. (This shows at least that you are still "interested" to some extent.)

Better: to "help with the studs." (as this suggests that you want to spend time with him alone. Then he can perhaps confide his "real" intentions without public rejection or embarrassment esp. if you happen NOT to be gay etc.)

If he is interested, I'm certain he'll take you up on it! :)
Good luck. (And um...sorry Zack?)

Frank said...

Read my earlier posts about Zack....my guy.

bear said...

ok. I'm new to your blog so haven't read everything yet. I don't mean to offend Zack!