Thursday, June 15, 2006

I Can't Believe It!

Perhaps I expect way too much or maybe my standards are a bit high.

As I said in my last post, yesterday was my twin daughters' birthday. They turned 22. They were excited and happy. So was I.

#1 arose early yesterday...and peaked in my room. She whispered, "Dad, can I come in?"

I said, "Sure, it's just me and the dog."

It reminded me of when she was much smaller.

She ran and jumped into my big bed....and snuggled up close to me as I sang to her "Happy Birthday." She then asked if I would scratch her back.

I must say it was a whole lot different than those days when I had three kids, two dogs and a cat leaping into my bed (of course Lovey was already there too) and asking me to scratch their backs.....or rub their backs.....or just to hug and hold them. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that the old mattress is beginning to show some wear and tear...

While #1 was in my bed, I reached over to the telephone and called #2 down in Nashville. Sadly, all I got was her voicemail....but we sang to her anyway. In a few moments after hanging up, she called us back...and I got to tell her how much I loved her...and that I hoped she had a great birthday. She then asked to speak to her sister.

So, there they were....the 22 year olds have an adult conversation about their birthdays....telling each other how much they missed and loved each other. Then I heard #1 say, "No, I haven't heard anything from her. She's probably forgotten. I'm not worried about it."

I knew what/who they were discussing.

"Lovey" was still at her church thingy....I suppose still celebrating her new credentials...

She was scheduled to return yesterday. But we didn't know when.

After they finished their conversation, I spoke with #2 again, and told her to be looking out for her package from me. Being the music/media person she is, I got her one of those fancy, high capacity iPods.

I gave #1 her card, and we had agreed that I would give her, her combination birthday/graduation present after "Lovey" is gone. Still, I planned to take her to dinner last night and to give her a $100 gift card for her favorite book store.

Throughout the day, I checked on #1. Between one and two o'clock, I called her to see how she was. She sounded a little down.

"Have you heard from your mom?" I asked.

"Nope!"

"Ah," I said.

"I heard from #2 though. She's not heard from Mom either."

I didn't say anything. What could I say? I definitely couldn't be honest with her and let her know the evil thoughts I was thinking about "Lovey". After all, this was typical "Lovey"...her ministry always comes first...and boy, it sure does.

I left my office a bit early, and on my way home I called #1 to tell her that I was on my way.

"I heard from Mom," she said flatly.

"Oh?" I responded.

"Yeah. She and Grandma are on their way home. She will be home late because she has some Internet work she needs to do at Grandma's. No mention of my birthday. #2 still hasn't heard from her."

I boiled inside. But, I didn't let it show. I changed the subject and told my estimated time of arrival, and that she should be ready to go to dinner.

By the time we were on our way to dinner, #1 told me that her mother did call back. She and her grandma sang Happy Birthday to her. She also had done the same thing to #2.

When we returned from dinner, Lovey was indeed back from her trip. She had been too tired to join us.

No card. No gift.

Yes, I expect way too much. My standards are a bit too high.

I think a parent should honor their child on its birthday...and remember....and thank God for it.

I expext way too much.

1 comment:

john said...

I think it's sad when a person's birthday is forgotten. Everyone should have one special day in their lives, a celebration of their life.