Thursday, May 24, 2007

Frank's "Early Show" Connection


My son the Marine (MSM) called this morning at 12:55 from New York City.

Phones ringing in the wee hours always unglue me. I thought I was going to get some really bad news. Thankfully, MSM was only calling to say for me to watch The Early Show this morning. He would be appearing on TV!

He sounded excited and upbeat. He’s in New York for some special Marine function. It's his first time there. He had to ride a boat up there from Norfolk and he returns this Sunday.

He ended the call with a deep, heartfelt, "Dad, I love you."

I responded equally.

I love that kid dearly......he has been through so much in his young life. I really dread the thought of him going to Iraq in September. It makes me tear up everytime.

So, while I was trying to wake up this morning, I programmed the trusty VCR to record his appearance. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to see him. That would be so cool.

MSM is not the only person in my family to appear on nationwide TV! #2 appeared on the Grammy Awards a few years back. She served as one of those people who lead the stars down the red carpet. In the pre-show on E entertainment network, Star Jones was interviewing some celebrity….and like a parting of the Red Sea, the crowd opened up and there, standing dead center of the screen, just over Star Jones’ left shoulder was my #2 -- looking bewildered -- looking all around and chewing a wad of gum. I kid her all the time about her first appearance on nationwide TV and she’s chewing her gum like a cow chewing it’s cud!

Now all I have to do is to get #1 to appear on TV! Still, two out of three ain’t bad.

When I got home last night from work, I was in a very strange place emotionally. I was very sad. Everywhere I looked I had a memory.

Some were good.

Others were bad.

The walls of my house felt like they were beginning to fall in on me.

So I changed into my grubbies…..and went out and proceeded to work on treating my deck and fence for the summer. I kept active. I kept breathing. I kept remembering.

BUT, by the time I finished, I was pleased with myself and the job I had done.

The sadness had passed.

No comments: