Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jerry Fallwell


Jerry Fallwell died on Tuesday morning.

It’s always sad when someone passes away. It’s hard on the family and other dear ones that are left behind.

But what about the rest of us?

It’s us who brought down the twin towers on September 11.

It’s us who, when we can have children of our own, “recruit” unsuspecting innocent people into our deviant lifestyles.

It’s our agenda that made TINKY WINKY carry a purse. God help us all! Can someone send me the the memo please? I'm always the last one to know.

I have a connection to Jerry Fallwell. Several actually.

When I converted to Christianity, I went to a bible thumping, fundamentalist church in West Virginia. The church was modeled after Mr. Fallwell’s in Lynchburg. At the time, even our choir robes were identical to the ones used by Thomas Roads Baptist Church. In fact, my pastor’s son, served as the youth minister at Thomas Roads for years.

So, due to those connections, Mr. Fallwell made several trips to our church. He always brought a herd of people with him…most usually the LBC Chorale or some such name. After 30 or so years, one’s mind grows hazy.

I met Jerry. He was warm and jovial in a distant sort of way. I guess that's how you are when you are on the threshold of celebrity. I always said that if I become famous, I won't become like that. I want to just be me. The way I am.

I bought an album of their music. It’s vinyl. Jerry’s picture shnes brightly in the middle with the Liberty Bell and the American Flag unfurled in the background. I thought I would attend Liberty Baptist College! I have a couple of his sermons on vinyl. I suppose I should have had him sign these items. I didn't though.

Yes, Jerry was out to save America. He challenged me that day. I thought I could help him.

Not long afterward, something changed in me. I decided against Bible college and the ministry. I wound up at Marshall University. And now I’m working for the federal government. I didn’t accomplish that goal of becoming a minister. I didn’t join Jerry in his quest to save America.

I don’t believe he accomplished this in his mind either. After all, here WE are. Tinky Winky still carries his purse as far as I know Still gay after all these years. I was gay then too!

But, oh was I hopeful. I was told time and time and time again: “You can change.”

And, I believed.

Boy, did I believe!

I was told that all I had to do was to marry a fine, Godly woman. Make babies. That would change me. I’d see. Those perverted sinful desires would vanish!

Let’s suffice it to say that I married a woman.

I made babies.

But I lived in hell. A hell of my own making. All because of Mr. Fallwell and his ilk. The homophobes who couldn’t appreciate God’s plan of diversity or that God made people differently with differing points of view with different belief systems.

Nope.

They couldn’t.

They muddied the lines between Americanization and Christianization.

God is American, isn’t he? Wasn't that the Star Spangled Banner wrapped around Jesus on the cross?

And because of Mr. Fallwell and friends, I nearly lost myself. I nearly lost my relationship with God. I created a family that is now broken. I married a woman who is now scarred. I almost did myself in. I’ve seen hell. I’ve lived in it.

Forgive me Mr. Fallwell. I never did say thanks.

No comments: