Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Welcome To My Twilight Zone


I’ve said this many times…and I am further convinced of this fact today: I am living and thriving in the Twilight Zone!

Today I received a call from Lovey. She said that she really wanted to get the divorce finalized, but that my attorney keeps nit picking her attorney’s documents apart – when in fact they don’t need any tweaking. She said that the final document went out from her attorney last week. Could I do something to my attorney to speed along the process?

I asked her when the document was sent to my attorney. She said on May 15th. I reminded Lovey that this was only one week ago today…seven days. I told her that I was sure that my attorney would handle it as quickly as possible.

Still, I was bugged by Lovey’s call.

Between her and her attorney…they want to cast blame and make it seem like we’re the ones holding up the final decree.

After I thought about this a little, I did some checking. I called my attorney and asked where we were on things. She said that she had received the final decree from the other side and that she had mailed it out first thing yesterday morning. She said that I should have my copies by today.

Well, I went home for lunch. Sure enough…there were my copies.

My attorney has had no other contact with the opposing side since she sent her testy email on May 2 where she challenged that attorney to never again accuse her of stalling our case.

So I wonder: does Lovey’s attorney communicate what is actually going on….or does he make it sound like my attorney is the one who is stalling?

Upon my return from lunch, I crafted an email to Lovey with my attorney’s two emails from early May where she outlines all the problems with her attorney’s drafts, AND the comment about never accusing her delaying the action again.

“Lovey:

I did some checking with my attorney, because the nitpicking comment you made didn't really sound like how she operates. She is thorough and has been very good at keeping me posted on what's going on. I learned that the final decree was sent back to your attorney yesterday morning early -- SIGNED. Once again, this demonstrates how quickly she tries to be. In fact, when I went home just now to let the dog out, I had my copies from her in the mailbox.

I'm attaching a couple of emails from the first of this month that were sort of amusing to me. As you can see, She made some valid points about incorrect information, wrong statutes, etc. contained in your attorney’s drafts. I don't know about you, but I do want everything filed properly the first time without it being rejected by the court or redacted. I really do appreciate her thoroughness.

I'm confident that if we were to look at the entire record, She has been extremely responsive whenever she has received something from your attorney and has turned it around extremely fast.

Hope this helps.”

Of course, I am the great Satan and am not to be trusted in any way.

It just makes me feel crazy at times because this is just one more example of how, when things are going about as fast as Lovey will let them, it just isn't good enough.

This happened all through the separation.

This happened all through the journey towards that god forsaken separation agreement..

And now it continues through the final decree!

Ick!

2 comments:

bear said...

yeah, this is pretty troubling. I think sometimes it could be some delaying crafted by the attorney(s) to collect more fees?

Anonymous said...

Well, one more deep breath, this seems to be the final documents. Get them signed, get them through the courts and the legal part should be over.