Thursday, June 05, 2008

Buddy, Can I Borrow Your Ark?

This has to be the wettest spring on record here in the Washington, DC area. Last spring and summer we suffered a horrible drought that had water restrictions in place in some areas, there were tremendous concerns about reservoir levels and the Potomac.

I would certainly hope that all this precipitation has improved the level of the water table drastically.

Yesterday's storms were some of the worst we've ever had, according to weather reports.....heavy wind shear.....lots of rotation.....perhaps even a few tornados.

At approximately 3:30 yesterday afternoon, my son called me at the office to say that we had lost power. I immediately worried about the sump pump at the back door. Back in the Summer of '06, a few days after Lovey left, was when I had the big flood because the sump pump had failed and I had several inches of water covering my rec room floor. It required pumping....cleaning.....and installation of new wall to wall carpet.

Since then, I had a new sump pump installed.......and the drainage system enhanced....and the gutters repaired. So, before the electricity had gone out, the sump pump had drained the pit considerably. On top of this, the water level in the pit seemed to only catch the water that came down the stairs in the normal course of raining.....and the gutters did their job to move the water away from the pit.

Bottom line is that the house stayed dry.

Thank God!

I took my time about coming home last night, because I knew that my son wouldn't be home....he wasn't.

I had a nice dinner at a restaurant......went for a haircut....and by the time I walked into my house around 8pm....the house was still powerless.....and I came in.....took my clothes off....crawled into bed.....and tried to sleep. The bad thing was that the house was stuffy.....no air was moving.....and it was a little warm. So I had trouble sleeping.

The power finally came back on around midnight.

I got to sleep around 1am after I checked everything.

The boy never showed up at home last night.

So, I trust he was alright.

Tonight he and I have been invited to dinner at Mom O'Lovey's house......and of course, Lovey will be there too.

I will probably have lots to tell tomorrow!

Stay tuned.

No comments: