Friday, June 06, 2008

A Change of Heart


I survived the dinner last night.

It was colossally stressful….and in the end I am left to wonder why I expended so much time and energy to have it all happen.

I guess as the patriarch of the family….the broken family as we used to call families of divorce back when I was a kid…..I suppose that I am still trying to fix things. I want to see all members of my family get along. I want to heal hurts. I want to take away any pain that anyone feels. Most of all, I don’t want to be the one that engenders the pain.

I loathe controversy or arguments or discomfort and the like.

So, my attempts to build a bridge between Lovey and her son failed.

Miserably.

She’s certainly not going to change.

He’s just as stubborn.

So there they sat on the deck at her mother’s home – Lovey pontificating – the grandmother and aunt spellbound by each word emanating from the mouth of Lovey -- the marine looking on incredulously, periodically rolling his eyes and shaking his head. Lovey oblivious to anyone but herself. And, there was I -- looking on – taking it all in…..

Did I really spend 25.5 years with this woman?

This was why I was so depressed for so long?

I actually mourned the anniversary of the divorce two weeks ago?

What was I thinking?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank, if you are like me, you really miss the dream of what you wish your marriage had been - not what you really had. I don't want my ex back, and I'm reminded of this when I have to be with him at one of the kid's events.

And then still, I'm so sad some days to no longer be a married person, and am scared of being alone of the rest of my life.

The truth - I was alone even when I was with him.

Hopefully for both of us, as time passes, we'll create new dreams and let the old ones go.