Thursday, June 05, 2008

Uh Oh!

Tonight is the big meal with my former wife, Lovey, her mother, and my son and me.

Spoke with my son early in the afternoon to hear that he had received a wreckless driving ticket for blowing through a red light he says, "he didn't see." He was supposedly so upset by it he told me that he couldn't come to dinner tonight.

I told him my thoughts, including how lame his excuse was.

He stood firm.

I stood firm.

I finally said that he needed to call his grandma and explain why.

The next thing I received was an irate call from his mother stating how busy she was.....and that she had made this time for him.....and that she's got a funeral....and a graduation to go to........as well as to create two bulletins....blah...blah....blah.

She also said this was a trmendous sacrifice for her to come......

And she wanted me to call her son. She'd spoken with him too.

I returned her call....but I said to her that I had heard that she was coming to her mother's and I had planned this as a way for her to get to see him. She thanked me. (So, how come it became a sacrifice for her to come to her mother's......and why did she have to move her schedule all around for "him".....when she had already planned to be at her mom's anyway? Lovey loves martyrdom.)

I called him back andd explained that his mom had gone to extraordinary lengths to be with him this evening. He barked at me and asked me "why do you care about my relationship with mom?"

I answered, "Because she's your mom and I don't want you to get to some place on down the line and you regret not having spent more time with her when you could."

He shut up...and said that he was going to come tonight.

So, maybe I will get to see them together in a rare moment.

My family is so dysfunctional.

No comments: