Friday, June 13, 2008

Frank & Josh's Excellent Adventure Begins

Well, it's almost time for me to get into the trusty old car and head to Texas with my son.

I've been looking forward to this trip for as son as he first discussed the possibility of me doing it with him while he was still in Iraq. This means that we will be sleeping in the same room with each other -- eating all our meals together -- and spending several hours per day in the same car together as we travel. It should be fun. But I have kiddingly added: "If we don't kill each other first!"

Hopefully this will give us a chance to tear down some walls that he has erected. Ever since he went through adolescence, he's been distant -- almost aloof in how he handles us, his family. I think it stems back to his childhood which was a very traumatic one. We were his second adopted family. His birth family and his first adopted family were very dysfunctional.....and he was somewhat abused at some of the most critical moments of his life....when he was learning to love and to trust. My family is dysfunctional too....but as I have said here, and also as I have told the marine, "We put the FUN in dysFUNctional!" On top of this we have never been abusive to him.....and everything we have done has been surrounded in love. So, for all of our problems, we did have love for the little guy.

I've already seen new sides of him surfacing -- there's a kindness and softness there that hasn't been there. There's consideration, manners, a "thank you" when you've done something meaningful for him. AND, on top of everything, it was his idea that we go on this trip together.

So we begin tonight....our "EXCELLENT ADVENTURE" from DC to Ft. Worth, Texas.

WOW!

So y'all, I'm not sure what computer access I will have. Therefore, this is going to be my last post officially until I return home on June 22. If I can write while on the road, I will.

Thanks for bearing with me....and remember us in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: