Friday, April 21, 2006

Bitterness


Today I find myself experiencing a tinge of bitterness toward “Lovey” and all that she stands for.

There, I have put it on the table for all to read.

I am bitter because of some conversations I have had with other men in my situation – married and struggling with being gay. I’ve heard them talk about how supportive their wives have been – of the many different and creative ways that they have worked things out – of the many couples who are happily celebrating 25, 30, 35, and yes, 40 years of dealing with it successfully.

And here am I, looking at a possible future of being alone. Alone as in no wife to talk to, to share my secret dreams with, to share my fears with, to rejoice in great triumphs or victories with, to experience weddings of our children with, to experience births of grand children with. Nope, no woman in my life to experience all these life events.

So, today, Friday, April 21, 2006, I’m bitter about her….and about a whole lot of other things surrounding her…and this floodgate of change and difficulty and pain she introduced into my life:

• I am now forced to face my gayness front and center.

• I must figure out how big a force in my future this is going to play.

• I have to decide whether or not to come out to the world and be done with it! (Do I do this in the event I wind up with a male partner later on or heck, should I just take the private route and if that happens, let them all figure it out then?)

• I have no significant female figure in my life on which to consult with on the trivial and the critical…unless you count my mother. (Sorry Mom…)

• I resent the fact that I have not been able to have any say in who I come out to for the first wave of disclosure. “Lovey” has outted me to practically the world and she has never understood why this isn’t and shouldn’t be done. (Maybe I shouldn’t worry about bullet # 3 after all it has already been done!) Whatever happened to loyalty? (She has always been loyal to her blood relatives though.)

• I resent the fact that very few in my church have cared enough to check on me or call – NOT EVEN THE PASTOR or other STAFF members. “Lovey” says it’s an awkward situation for them…because she is on staff. Hmmmm…why is it that they can’t pick up the phone to say they were thinking about me?

• I also resent a member of a gay married support group that I am part of in my city. I always looked up to him as a model…and as my rock…. But he has not once checked in with me… Oh he’s been concerned about the special guy in my life…and how my divorce is impacting him……but not one time has he checked in on me….to be concerned about how my divorce is impacting ME!

Did I say I was bitter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank:
It is good to hear that you can express your bitterness. Watch your bitterness. See if it increases or diminishes over the next few days, I am sure that it will change.
Indeed the coming out process does allow us to see how people that we have known for a long time react to us. Of course, many of these people have known only part of you, and this revelation makes them wonder just how much they really knew. If one reality is not as they thought, how many more may be different? You, of course, know that really nothing has changed except that now some people know that you are attracted to same gender persons. But for many people, you have broken out of the category that they had put you into, and they will not be comfortable until they can put you into a new one. And then some people have already put you into a preconceived category, especially those that have a homophobic predisposition for what ever reason.
I think that the fact of life is that every person that knew us as straight and does not reject us when we come out is a great blessing. Some people are blessed more than others, depending upon the homophobia within the community in which they lived.
Now what are you going to choose to do with your bitterness? God bless you in your choices.

Rick

Joel said...

I didn't have the support of my wife either but in the end...I think divorce WAS the best thing. It is not all loneliness and despair. Hang in there.