Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Deed is Done!


Well, I've gone and done it!

That chore that I really dreaded and felt so unsure of myself about a few months ago: picking out and buying new furniture.

I finally decided that it needed to be done. I had to buy living room, dining room, and recreation room, furniture. A good friend of mine, who lives next door, Charlene, spent her Saturday going with me from store to store. I showed her what I liked and awaited the criticism.

I always got it from Lovey in some shape or form.

"You have no taste. No sense of colors. You're color blind," Lovey would often say. She'd also say that she didn't want to spend money on things, because of some orphan in Africa needing our contributions in order to survive....or God forbid, she'd not be able to buy shoes. Go back and look at the earlier post I did about Lovey's Shoe Carousel. Lovey obviously took a vow of poverty during some earlier life.

Criticism never came from Charlene's direction. If anything, she said that I had a great sense of taste AND style. She remarked that this was the funnest shopping trip she had ever been on, because I had already done my homework she said. I was amazed. A woman actually told me that had chosen very well. So, over the course of spending money and making my final purchases, I saved approximately $3,100. I also got a glass cocktail table, two glass end tables, two table lamps and a floor lamp. Then I bought three pieces of elegant artwork that will tie everything together.

It arrives on Saturday.

Charlene is a decorator and has excellent taste herself. She thinks I'm really good at making my selections.

Me!

Isn't that something? Why did I think this was going to be so difficult? It probably was due to the internal phobia I had developed because of all the previous criticism I had received through 25 years.

I'm slowly learning that Frank can make decisions...good ones at that.

On the way home, I confessed to Charlene all that Lovey used to say to me. Charlene was shocked.

She was shocked that the good reverend would be that critical.

"I could write a book, Charlene," I said.

"Doesn't surprise me," she replied. "When Lovey sees what all you have done to your house, and the furniture you have selected....she's going to have a cow," Charlene giggled.

"She can send it to the orphans in Africa," I deadpanned.

Charlene grinned. "You're awful," she said.

I know.

3 comments:

john said...

Are you going to post pictures of the results?

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that "Queer Eye for the former Straight House" is going well. Color is for me always a touchy area. But a sense of drama and boldness often go a long way.

Paul said...

I can't wait to see photos. I'm sure it's going to be great!

Glad you enjoyed shopping.