Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Grandfather Clock - 2


It arrived.

Last night!

I was so excited.

My grandfather clock was sitting in its box on the sidewalk in front of my front door. I could hardly contain my excitement.

Jeff, the delivery man, gingerly moved it inside and asked me where I wanted it.

"Does it have a light?" I asked.

Jeff answered, "Yes, this model does. It will need an electrical outlet."

At that instant, like a flash of recognition, I knew the perfect spot for my clock: in the front hall....next to the powder room, but not on the side of the door where it could swing and hit it.

Nope, this clock sat on a space that had not been occupied by anthing else. We plugged it in, Jeff did all his adjustments, and he swung the pendulum and wound all the crank mechanisms. He set the lunar clock as well.

He checked all the chimes and it worked.

Beautifully.

I am so guilty to say this, but that clock has already given me its money worth in personal pleasure I derive from seeing and hearing it in action. There is something quite calming...to hear the gentle ticking and the chiming on the four quarter hours.

This is the first elegant item I have purchased for my home. It's beautiful.

And...it's all mine!

4 comments:

john said...

Grandfather clocks are beautiful.

bear said...

Cool! Beautiful! I want one!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, letting elegance into ones life has such a liberating feeling. I am sure that the following quotes are not completely accurate but the idea is what counts:

As long as you have the luxuries of life the necessities fairly well take care of them selves. (Frank Lloyd Wright)

Have nothing around you that you do not find truly beautiful or useful. (Henry David Thoreau)

Rick

Anonymous said...

You're right, there is something calming and nostalgic about the chimes of a grandfather clock To this day, every time I hear them, it brings me back to the days of napping up against my clock in my childhood home.